[Sw-l] Wrist movements

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Feb 24 18:30:01 UTC 2018

SignWriting List
February 24, 2018

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Thank you, Fernando, for the question. And thank you, Adam, for taking time from your busy teaching schedule to answer Fernando's question...your help is always amazing and accurate ;-)

And hi Ingvild!- Thank you for your comment - I am glad you brought up our history together. Thank you for your influence on the development of SignWriting....I only wish you could come visit me again so we could work together again ... I miss you here... but we have good memories of that time...

Nothing has changed since the development at that time, but I suppose it has evolved a little... The symbols are still the same and are relating to an Axis. When the Axis is the forearm for arm rotations, the movement arrows rotate around the line that represents the forearm. The wrist movements also relate to a "line that is representing the wrist (an axis)" and then the movement arrows are on one side of the axis or the other, depending on the direction the fingers take as the wrist stays still and only the hand moves up or down or side to side.

I hope to make videos that are not based on any spoken or signed language, but through mime and graphics, I hope to be able to teach how the body moves and then show a graphic of the symbol that describes that movement. I hope to start with these Wrist Movements, since they seem to be the hardest for everyone.

In the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, these Axial Movements of both the arm and wrist are explained pages 141-150.

Download PDF of Lessons in SignWriting
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0116-Lessons-SignWriting.pdf

Here is page 150, that presents the Wrist-Flexing Movement. See attached...