[Sw-l] Timing Symbols

Wed Aug 14 16:10:22 UTC 2019

SignWriting List
August 14, 2019

Hello Adam and SW List members -

Thank you for this question. Yes, the definitions you list are the more recent definitions which I believe are clear. It is confirmed that they are correct.

Years ago, I called them "Movement Dynamics" in the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, on page 183. Attached is a screen capture of that page from the book, plus the sign for FEW in ASL that is an example of the Gradual Movement Symbol, which is like two miniature SLOW and SMOOTH symbols placed between two positions, to mean "gradually moving into the next position". The Gradual symbol is always small between two positions.