[Sw-l] [SPAM] RE: Questions about signwriting symbols with curving paths on sidewall

00000018ddb4db4a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU 00000018ddb4db4a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Wed May 1 01:30:45 UTC 2019

YES!  I think we are saying the same thing, and as you wrote, it is always hard to say it in English.  I think the sidewall is confusing because it is hard to represent iconically.  In this case, it *looks* like the hand is moving to the right and left, but it is NOT.

Perhaps the easiest way to understand it is to view the symbol as though from the left (or right) of the signer, instead of behind the signer.  Then the symbol clearly shows the forward to viewer and back to signer wave motion.  In the same way the sidewall motion where the floor plane is prominent is best thought of as though you were above the signer and viewer and looking down at the hand.  I think you mention this in your lessons, and im now starting to understand this.

Thank you!

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU> On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:00 PM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Questions about signwriting symbols with curving paths on sidewall

SignWriting List

April 30, 2019

Hello Rachel -

Thank you for these questions - I will try to answer them bit by bit... regarding question 1... see my answer below your diagram...

On Apr 30, 2019, at 6:36 AM, 00000018ddb4db4a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU <mailto:00000018ddb4db4a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>  wrote:

Hi everyone two new questions –

1.	Here is a set of symbols:

I interpret the first symbol (S2a900) as:

The right hand curves toward the horizon (viewer).  Then the hand curves back toward the signer (writer).  In other words, an S-curve.  The overall path direction is straight up and down (not sloped toward signer or viewer).

Is this correct?

VAL'S ANSWER:

I believe you understand the visual movement, but the wording is always hard in English. The "Horizon" term means "far away from the chest or body". It is "like looking at a line on the Horizon out in the ocean" and reaching for that Horizon which is "far away". So your description of "viewer" in the first sentence confused me a little. So here is another try to explain it in words:

Looking at your chart 0-0:

The right hand starts to travel up, parallel to the Front Wall Plane. While it travels up it does an S-Curve. The S-Curve is NOT parallel to the Front Wall Plane. The S-Curve is parallel to the Side Wall Plane. While making the S-Curve, the right hand curves forward toward the Horizon, (hitting the Front Wall) and then it curves the opposite direction back towards the signer's chest. The dot on the curve represents curving back toward the chest. And this occurs while traveling up in general.

That is a large paragraph for such a lovely movement ;-)

Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L <http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1> &A=1