[Sw-l] order of phonology

Wed Oct 9 01:45:04 UTC 2019

Hi Adam and João and Steve -
You always have my blessing for whatever you feel is right - I think it is
a matter of what the phonological sequence is used for - If you are not
using the SignSpelling Sequence to sort dictionaries, but you are using the
Sequence to teach the reader what the Sequence is when you produce the
sign, then your Sequence is perfect -

The reason that the sorting of dictionaries got complicated is, that we had
thousands of signs - I think there were 3000, and I found the few signers I
tested it on, had trouble finding the signs. To find the the sign for Deaf
within a listing of 3000 signs - they looked for handshape first, but
realized they had to look for palm orientation next, and then rotation next
- so within the one handshape symbol is embedded three pieces of
information - shape, orientation and angle. Usually they found the sign
they wanted if they could get that far!

So please go right ahead. Whatever you choose to do is fine with me - that
was a long time ago and it is something for us to re-visit and work with
again -

Attached is the dictionary document I promised to attach, and here are
links to dictionaries sorted by SignSpellings:

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0113-US-ASL-English-Dict.pdf

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0111-US-PictDict-ASL-Eng.pdf