[Sw-l] The first episode of the SignWriting Stream

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sun Apr 12 18:43:07 UTC 2020

Hi SignWriting List,

I successfully recorded and posted the first episode of the SignWriting
Stream.  It's about half an hour.  Not professional. No captions yet,
unless auto caption works. Let me know. Skip to the end to see the hand
shapes rain.
* https://youtu.be/Z2iJEMuENVk

Regards,
-Steve

PS - Here are the show notes

The SignWriting Stream is a live show where we show, teach, and demo all
about Sutton SignWriting.  The purpose of the show is to highlight our
current efforts and offerings so that we demonstrate the value we
provide.  If you find our work interesting or helpful, consider joining
the Patrons of SignWriting and becoming a member on
Patreon.com/signwriting , or donate directly to slevinski at signwriting.org

The show premise is one shot without a script.  I have five bullet
points, a few mind-maps, and several websites.  The target audience is
not well defined.  People who know SignWriting and sign language, don't
care about the technical details.  People who care about technical
details don't want to know about writing sign languages. This is why
your feedback is so important.  What's good, what's bad, and what's
interesting?  What topics and what formats would you like to see?

Our current infrastructure and websites need massive work with minimal
resources.  We do what we can.  Look for improvements over time and
updates as we continue to grow.

Stuck in the past, ready for the present, working towards the future.
SignWriting is complex and has had massive technological churn over the
years.  My work with SignWriting has evolved as I've built system after
system for SignWriting with the limited technology of the day.  Over the
years, I had to rebuild systems for the new technology of today.  Years
later, I found out that I needed to rebuild the systems for the
technology of tomorrow as well, so I mapped out the optimal path for
future growth.  Building on the Sutton SignWriting Standards of 2010,
2012 and 2017, I am hopeful and excited for the future of the Sutton
SignWriting packages.  I am especially pleased with the
@sutton-signwriting/core package. I will extensively demo this package
in a future episode.

And finally, in this episode, I announce that I will be open sourcing
SignPuddle 2 software later this year.  Before the SignBank.org website
can be moved to the new server, SignPuddle 2 needs to be rewritten to
use a database (MySQL or SQLite) rather than SPML.  SPML will be
supported in SignPuddle 2 as an optional export, but it will not be
supported in future offerings.  I can reuse the database work from
SignPuddle 3 and I can update the software to use the font files rather
than the slow and expensive PHP image scripts.  I will start this
project after the simple websites are moved to the new server.  Next
Saturday, I will move https://SteveSlevinski.me to the new server.

Thanks for reading and watching.

Other websites in this video:
https://signwriting.org/