[Sw-l] Report from Steve's desk

Marie Alexander marie.alexander at UM.EDU.MT
Fri Feb 28 02:10:36 EST 2020

Dear Steve,

It seems like my previous endorsement is still there in the write-up.  I
would like to update it since
some things have changed (including the name of my Institute).l How can I
do this?  I have the updated document
but am not sure how to insert this. Can you advise me? Apologies for my IT
ignorance.

Regards,
Marie

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 16:26, Stephen Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net>
wrote:

> Hi SignWriting List,
>
> The year 2020 is turning out to be a great year of change for SignWriting.
>
> First off, if you know anything about Wikimedia or Wikipedia, please add
> your support to an individual grant I'm applying for to create the
> two-dimensional font.  The community review is open until March 16th.
> Thanks!
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/slevinski/ASL_Wikipedia_2-D_Font_Development_for_SignWriting
>
> For 16 years, I was blessed to be able to work with Valerie Sutton
> through the Center for Sutton Movement Writing non-profit as a paid
> consultant.  Unfortunately, excessive government paperwork and
> fundraising issues became a burden.  We have closed the non-profit
> portion of the organization and the Center for Sutton Movement in now an
> all volunteer organization without a checking account.
>
> I'm still blessed because I still get to continue to collaborate with
> Valerie Sutton into the future. I believe in SignWriting and I think our
> 13 websites are worth preserving and maintaining.  To keep them up, I
> have assumed full responsibility for the financial hosting of the
> server.  I'm happy to say that the current server costs are covered by
> the Patreon campaign I started last year.
>
> I plan to keep working with SignWriting on a part-time basis.  I will
> have office hours on Saturday, central standard time.
> * 7:30 am Gitter Public Chat
> * 9am YouTube Live
> * 10:30 am Chat with Val
> * 1pm Server and Development
>
> In 3 weeks, chances are good that I may start a full-time job outside of
> SignWriting.  These three weeks are very important because I need to
> rebuild the current SignWriting Server that hosts all of our websites.
> We will have a Simple SignWriting Server that only sends files without
> any server processing.  We will have a Legacy SignWriting Server that
> supports PHP for SignPuddle 2 and SignPuddle 3 and others. Once the two
> new servers are built and configured, I'll shut down the current
> SignWriting Server.  This will make sure the websites are up, stable,
> and running for the next few years.
>
> The year 2020 is a year of transitions, new directions, and letting go.
> The new direction is to embrace JavaScript for both the browser and the
> server with node.  The standards are solid and I have several useful
> packages to share that are fully documented with online training
> available.  Once I have the first three packages fully complete, I will
> start the react component library.  Rather than trying to create a
> mutli-user platform for SignWriting, I'm going to focus on the
> foundation and offer tools to other developers so that they can use and
> create with SignWriting for their own websites and apps.
>
> The YouTube station will be called the SignWriting Stream.  I will show,
> teach, and demo the Sutton SignWriting resources we've put together.
> [...]

Professor Marie Alexander
Institute of Linguistics and Language Technology
20, Portacabins in CP6,
University of Malta
Msida MSD2800
Malta