[Sw-l] SignWriting websites

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Mon Mar 30 16:58:03 UTC 2020

Hi SignWriting List,

I hope everyone is staying safe.  2020 is going to be interesting for
SignWriting, especially for the websites.

These websites are currently hosted together on a server funded through
Patreon.  I personally administer and manage the server. Over the years,
these websites have grown and become complicated and intertwined.  The
current server is reaching its end of life and needs to be rebuilt.

I have started the new server build.  It is up and running Cent OS 8.
This week, I hope to complete the configuration and transfer over the
simple static sites like SignWriting.org, DanceWriting.org,
MovementWriting.org, ...

After the simple sites are moved over, the more complicated PHP sites
will be transferred.  SignPuddle Online and the PDF printing will be the
most difficult.

The new server will be optimized for better performance. I'm hoping to
move the sites without too much modification, but it's possible that
SignPuddle 2 will need to be optimized first.  If that happens, I'll
open source the code and put it on GitHub.  I should probably do that
anyway.

I will keep the list posted about when sites are moving and possible
down time.  If you depend on any of the sites, their function, their
data, or specific links, please let me know so that I add your
requirements to the transition.  It's possible that some links may
change and some functionality may be dropped on SignBank.org,
SignPuddle.net, and SignPuddle.com.

Regards,
-Steve

PS - If you find any of the websites valuable, consider joining our
Patreon campaign.
https://www.patreon.com/signwriting

We are over half-way to our 2020 fundraising goals for the server
rebuild and future growth.