[Sw-l] [SPAM] Re: Handshape orientation problem

Jonathan Duncan 00000002a18e4451-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Fri Oct 30 02:08:52 UTC 2020

Hello Honza,

     Congratulations with your project, so nice to see a sign language
to sign language dictionary and it also supporting several spoken languages.

P.S. for those of you who would like to see the
https://beta.dictio.info/ site google translated to another language go
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbeta.dictio.info%2F

I know what you mean that some symbols look the same in different
positions, that's why the fist was drawn as Y.  I tried to make a symbol
chooser that has 4 rotations instead of the common three. But sometimes
I think it would be clearer if we were looking at the baby finger side
of the hand or the thumb side of the hand.  I had though at one time to
add a thumb nail to the thumb side of the fist symbols that don't have a
thumb shown.

As the baby finger side of the right hand, is the same symbol as the
thumb side of the left hand.

   But I never got to that project and probably never will.

And the first really need the arm symbol in the case of dictionaries
when people are trying to read the symbol for the first time. as most of
them are identical.

Sometime between 2011 and 2015 I worked on a few attempts to sort my
dictionaries by symbols.  Which led me to have to make an algorithm to
create syllables to tell which symbols came first in a sign and also to
attempt to identify right and left hands in the sign.  As you and Adam
have pointed out it's not very straight forward when the algorithm has
to look at the arrows that are moving those hand symbols to know if the
symbol is a right or a left.

This lead to my Spelling suggestion feature in SignWriterStudio.

It mostly gets signs ordered the way I programmed it. It's similar to
the Sutton-Syllable-Sequence (ok maybe that's not what it's called but I
know it's SSS) but with a few changes.

Sometimes when there are two sets of hands and it's not clear for it
which arrow is moving which hand, then it asks.

And in this case I only select the first part of the sign so as to get
too crazy.  Here the dominant hand is considered to the right, though
the algorithm could also do the left as dominant if we set one of the
settings.

I think if I would've made another construct to group some of the
symbols into groups to analyze group by group it would be even better.

My plan was to run the algorithm on all the signs in my dictionary and
not add the spelling if it needed to ask for more information.  Then go
in manually and have it suggest the other ones and correct them if it
got them wrong as it sometimes does.

I don't currently have it set up to run through all the signs in a
dictionary.

You are welcome to use or inspire yourself from my code.  It is open
source at https://github.com/JonathanDDuncan/Signwriterstudio

The sign spelling algorithm is here.

https://github.com/JonathanDDuncan/SignWriterStudio/blob/4865a876dbbf4d4456bf45292dc0822d475740ee/SWEditor/SignSpelling.vb

I was also working on a way to sort the hand symbols by shape similarity
different from the ISWA with SortWeight, an extra column in the database
for a different number for sorting purposes. Which when run on the
sorting sequence gave a string that would sort the dictionary entries in
that order.  You might want to stop at the previous step.  But I am
including it here in case you wanted to use it.

https://github.com/JonathanDDuncan/SignWriterStudio/blob/fa37f48e64ea140085146615f85a6885a9705ef6/SWClasses/Dictionary.vb

If you have funds for spelling and sorting algorithm and you want my
help, let me know.

Jonathan