[Sw-l] A question regarding how to write the right index finger touching a part of the left hand's palm and fingers

Tue Aug 31 22:11:57 UTC 2021

SignWriting List
August 31, 2021

Hi there,
The use of the index finger to point to other fingers to show tone or vowels, exists in other sign language as well. One of the well-known examples is in British sign language. They have a two-handed alphabet and they use their index finger to Point to the tips of the fingers of the other hand to show the vowels. To type British fingerspelling we created a shorter way to write it by just using a contact star on the finger being pointed to for the vowels, but others wrote the details. Here are some examples:

British Fingerspelling Font iin SignWriting
https://www.signwriting.org/catalog/sw214.html <https://www.signwriting.org/catalog/sw214.html>

British Fingerspelling Keyboard design for SignWriter DOS
https://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey044.html <https://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey044.html>

https://www.signwriting.org/uk/GB04.html <https://www.signwriting.org/uk/GB04.html>

So it just depends on how much room you have to write or type two hands versus one.

Val

-----