[Sw-l] Sutton SignWriting and 2022

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sun Nov 28 15:29:28 UTC 2021

Hi SignWriting list,

I can't believe 2022 is almost here.  I'm grateful that our SignWriting
technology is useful and interesting.  So many ideas and developments
are possible for the future.

Our standards are open to the public for use and adaptation. Everyone
should use SignWriting however they see fit.  We have free references,
fonts, JavaScript, and more.

We have a solid foundation with our three standards of the ISWA 2010,
Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW), and SignWriting in Unicode (SWU).
These standards have been stable since their respective release dates of
2010, 2012, and 2017.  Only compatible updates are allowed.

Our standards start with the character sets used to build words. These
words have a variety of uses and transformations.  Advanced searching,
sorting, and styling are all possible with a detailed specification and
implementation.  Our fonts are universal with additional solutions for
the future.  Our software is available on GitHub and NPM with ongoing
support for our technical platform and our legacy server.

Going forward, I am open to ideas for expanding or re-imaging our
standards.  If we build directly on the standards, we have the benefits
of the platform.  If we recreate the standards, we have unbounded
freedom.  This freedom comes at the cost of recreating a technical
platform and the possibility that the new solution doesn't solidify into
something useful.

The latest technical information for Sutton SignWriting is available in
my presentation for II CIELS-SUL.
Video: https://youtu.be/Fu-avUMAob8
Slides:
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/sutton-signwriting-technology

If you find my work valuable, consider joining my patreon campaign to
support current and future efforts.
https://www.patreon.com/signwriting

I look forward to our SignWriting journey together into 2020 and beyond.

Blessings to all,
-Steve
https://steve.signwriting.org
https://gitter.im/sutton-signwriting/community