[Sw-l] Rub contact

Fri Apr 8 21:30:44 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
April 8, 2022

Hello SW List and Honza -
So glad to see you back on the List, Honza - Thanks for telling me that the List software is working for you - Welcome back ;-)

I was just looking at one of the many Czech Sign Language documents posted on SignPuddle:

O Budulínkovi I.
https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=6&sgn=36&sid=35

If only the ISWA 2010 were not frozen in time - we could add new variations of symbols like Rubbing Symbols for writers to experiment with… mainly just to be able to flop it and rotate it - but we cannot add to the ISWA 2010 smbolset because of software constraints…

But writing it by hand it can be done - If I were reading a big document like the one I posted a link for above (O Budulínkovi I.), I don’t know if I would notice the direction of the Rub since we never put importance on that issue that I remember…so when I see the Rub symbol I am assuming a rub without stating the direction… and I guess I am also assuming some knowledge of the language

Thanks for bringing up such an interesting topic -

Val ;-)