[Sw-l] Collaborative Writing, Group Writing

John Carlson yottzumm at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 23 20:04:05 UTC 2022

I came up with this from several directions.  In 1991, I came up with the
idea of writing a movement programming language, but it was a solitary
activity.  In 1997, I heard about “pair programming.”  Since 1985-1986, I
had been interested in multiuser environments, like text chat, and later
making multiuser environments for planning systems, visual programming,
solitaire games, and mesh editing.

In 2019, I became interested in SignWriting, etc. and wrote a very
simplistic translator from English to SignWriting.  I also became familiar
with Natural Semantic Metalanguage.

For a while I had been exploring the idea of generators in computer science
and also emitters.   I then arrived at collectors, the opposite of emitters.

Back in the late 80’s a friend recommended “Godel Escher Bach” by
Hofstadter.

I became fascinated with differential set theory, continuous hierarchy and
smooth collections,  cumulating in waves of concepts and fields of concepts.

A friend Doug Sanden said he had explored crowds as emitters/collectors.

I remembered fluid concepts from another Hofstadter book.

Before those two, and back into the 70s with the book “beyond competition”
I became interested in collaborative games, like puzzles and “house.”

So plugging this all together, I came up with a “dance of concepts.”  Which
seems like what Valerie has been pushing for a long time.  Dance is
collaborative.  I remember doing the Virginia Reel in physical education in
school.  I don’t know if I could attempt to do the reel in DanceWriting,
but it would be fun to try to convert video to DanceWriting.

I wrote the start of a collaborative environment for teaching people and
computers the rules to card games.

I realize that indeed this may only be a “field of dreams”, but I imagine
one could do holodeck programming with holoconcepts.

I will look for a Virginia Reel or other square dancing videos.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu