[Sw-l] Could you proofread my ASL signwriting?

Tue Feb 8 18:18:14 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
February 8, 2022

Anna Grace and Adam and Andre,

Just talking about the first sign, Adam did explain the issues with that writing which possibly means CLASS, but the writing needs some changes ;-)

Anna Grace, how are you writing these signs? Are you using SignPuddle online in the American dictionary? Have you registered and logged in and entered your signs while you were logged in? And have you searched for the sign for CLASS in the dictionary to see how others wrote it before? There are many choices there with different spellings. Because if you're using SignPuddle online you probably would have seen what Adam is talking about…. I have attached a screen capture of one writing that might fit Adam’s explanation - if not Adam you are welcome to correct me ;-)

SignPuddle Online American Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4

So go to the ASL Dictionary and search for the sign for CLASS, and then scroll down

> [...]
>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.35.14 AM.png>
>>
>> I think you mean “chair”, but I am not sure why the base hand also has bent fingers. They are never bent when I sign this. In fact, I am starting to not write the other fingers as bent as well, personally, because I notice I rarely actually bend the fingers. Same with several of my friends as well.
>>
>>>  <Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.35.21 AM.png>
>>
>> I think you mean “sit”. The same issue with chair applies here as well. I noticed you used touch for chair instead of grasp like you did for sit. Not that it’s wrong, but I thought it was interesting.
>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.35.29 AM.png>
>>
>> I think you mean “dog”, but the movement arrows actually mean the arm travels. There are other arrows that means the fingers move that are needed here. The almost look like general movement arrows, but smaller. I also question if it is actually a back and forth rub movement, or if it is a back-back brush movement.
>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.35.38 AM.png>
>>
>> I have no clue what this sign is. I would read it as a fist that is facing away coming diagonally up-right to the chin to touch and then moves back towards the throat, all with a kiss shaped mouth. Were you trying to write “kiss fist”?
>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.47.05 AM.png>  <SW ate.png>  <SW eating.png>  <SW will eat.png>
>>
>> The rest I actually have no idea what they mean. I could try reading them like I did above, but they don’t feel like good guesses to me. 6 has a handshape that looks constructed and I am not sure what is meant by it because the fingers aren’t placed in the normal convention. 7, 8, and 9 look like they are various forms of “eating”, but the handshape is only with the index and thumb rather than all of them so it leads me to think they have to do with a bird pecking at the face.
>>
>> <namesign.png>
>> Adam
>>
>>> On Feb 8, 2022, at 6:51 AM, AnnaGrace Greenfield <msannagrace20 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've come up with American Sign Language signwriting for nine or ten English words. They are displayed at the bottom of this email. I'd like to see if your answers are the same as mine. I would like to run them by you before I can contribute them to the SignWriting Dictionary.
>>> Your answers can be next to the corresponding number on the list. Thanks so much!
>>> 2.
>>> 3.
>>> 4.
>>> 5.