[Sw-l] signEditor

Uta Meißner uta.hielscher at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 9 16:11:34 UTC 2022

Hi all,

delegs has its own signEditor.

https://apps.delegs.de/delegseditor/

If you doppelclick on the first area, so you come to signEditor.

We want to further improve signEditor to be able to write even faster.
signEditor should also be usable on mobile devices.

For this we don't want to develop signEditor from delegs, because
signEditor from signPuddle is more modern and uses SWU and fortunately is
open source.

I think we can start here to collect ideas for the improvements:

- Reduce symbols to limit the selection and thus enable faster finding of
symbols.
We have agreed on about 60 hand shapes for DGS. The number may change
because we have written very little and sign language continues to evolve.
It can happen that new hand shapes are created by borrowings, for example.

@Steve I have seen that for DGS not all symbols are used. There was
probably someone who made decisions. Can it be revised?

- the grouping of hand shapes by numbers in ASL is not suitable for DGS I
think. I have observed that many always had to search for a long time for a
hand shape. That's why we decided not to have a group and show all 30
phonemes (main handshapes) right away. We just didn't find a better
grouping that we are satisfied with.

- dragging symbols from the selection to the field is tedious - other
solutions?

Best regards
Uta

sutton at signwriting.org