[Sw-l] ASL: Glyph for "2" and "K" handshapes

Carlos Cristian Libras carloscristianlibras at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 3 21:50:38 UTC 2022

Hi AnaGrace, how are you?
A handshake for the entire list.

I felt free to answer you, I am also an ASL user, although my native
language is Libras (Brazilian Sign Language).
But I hope others can complement my thinking.

I started writing sign languages in 2018 and at the beginning I had a lot
of questions like yours about representation of hand configurations. I saw
various configurations that didn't seem to represent exactly what I saw in
my hands while performing the gestures.
But as I was writing texts, doing translations and teaching writing, I
started to understand the configurations and why they are the way they are.
Last year I had the honor of having a video call with Valerie and Adam to
question a specific handset that a friend had written and I thought it was
weird, I even thought it was a mistake in creating it (and similar ones).
But with a lot of patience Adam in the presence of Valerie managed to
explain to me the reason for being the way it is.
That day my mind lit up.
Until then I thought the SW was 100% iconic (it represents exactly as if it
were a drawing), but after that day I understood that it's not that way.
Although it is a visual script that resembles "drawings" just as every
script in any language has its arbitrary character (representation
agreement).
My advice is to use writing in your everyday life, writing, translating,
reading and so on. The more you write, the more we realize that in fact
this was the best format found to represent the signals quickly and with
conceptual efficiency.

If you want, we can make video calls and I'll show you why each of the
settings are as they are (the ones you mentioned and others that also
confused me at first).
Voluntarily, you won't need to pay anything.
I'm deaf, I use ASL so communication will flow.

But going ahead, I can tell you that the two graphemes you mentioned are
correct in SW, there is no inconsistency. It's just perspective, when you
see it you'll realize that it was the best way.

If you want to chat with me privately my email -
carloscristianlibras at gmail.com

I hope other SW users on this list will also respond to further clarify. I
just wanted to give you my report and offer my free help.

A Brazilian hug.