[Sw-l] ASL: Glyph for "2" and "K" handshapes

Tue Jan 4 00:02:14 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
January 3, 2022

Hello AnnaGrace, Carlos, and Adam!

What a great question to start out the New Year. Thank you, AnnaGrace, for the question, and thank you, Carlos and Adam, for your generous messages. Great answers!

From 1974-1986, SignWriting was written by hand in ASL and Danish Sign Language (DSL), before computer programs for SignWriting. The handwriting was amazing and intuitive and quite prolific. We were writing the SignWriter Newspaper by hand, a 20page tabloid size newspaper written in ASL and DSL, but the SignWriting system itself was in a great deal of flux - from 1981 til 1986 we were discussing important issues just like this one, but it was much more than just palm facing and finger standards - we were also moving from Receptive to Expressive and throwing out the stick figure and opting for writing in vertical stacks - all this took place before the standardization of computers.

Then in 1986, Richard Gleaves and I started to work together, along with the Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting (the DAC). Richard Gleaves is the developer of the first computer programs for SignWriting. First there was SignWriter //e and //c for the Apple //e and //c, and then later it was ported to MS-DOS. SignWriter DOS is a stand-alone word processor for typing SignWriting. Rich provided me with a Symbol Editor program, and he and I together, dot by dot, entered each symbol into the SignWriter program. We also had a Keyboard Editor, and developed 17 keyboard designs for 17 sign languages.

So, it was the development of SignWriter that provided us with the symbols we use today. Overtime, as we wrote and typed more and more sign languages, more standards were discussed for the development of more hand symbols. Later, after 1996, other software programs were developed and more symbols were added to the symbolset, and then, Steve Slevinski encoded the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2008 & 2010). The ISWA 2010 symbols is today’s standard symbols, and they are available for use in several computer programs, including SignMaker and SignPuddle. The symbols are in Unicode 8.

So, because of computers, we had to standardize some guidelines as to how the hand symbols are structured.

Would you all like to know what the guidelines are? There are specific reasons why the finger lines are placed where they are, based on readability…

I will show you all next message…

sutton at signwriting.org