[Sw-l] Dynamics and their meaning

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Thu Jan 27 14:00:36 UTC 2022

Hi Uta,

I'm making a new thread for this discussion and opening it up to the group.

Category 3 of the ISWA 2010 is the dynamics.
Here is the text used to describe this category.

'Dynamics Symbols are used to give the "feeling" or "tempo" to movement.
They provide emphasis on a movement or expression, and combined with
Punctuation Symbols become the equivalent to Exclamation Points. The
Tension Symbol, combined with Contact Symbols, provides the feeling of
"pressure", and combined with facial expressions can place emphasis or
added feeling to an expression. Timing symbols are used to show
alternating or simultaneous movement.'

The "Tense" symbol adds a feeling to the sign.

The whole sign would need to be considered to understand if the hand
stops after movement, or if the hand is moved under tension, or if the
hand doesn't move.

-Steve