[Sw-l] Japanese Translation for Signwriting? (Also, an Introduction)

Maureen Doyle maureengndoyle at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 30 21:20:13 UTC 2022

Hi. Im Maureen Doyle from Southport England  .I too was extremely  impressed  with Valerie Sutton's creation of SignWriting when I came across it on the internet many years ago. I couldnt believe that this amazing way for Deaf signers to write down their language wasnt heard  about or used here in England.
A bit about me. Over 25 years ago I started a voluntary group to teach people Sign language as I had been on a course with my daughter  and people who knew me wanted to learn. There wasn't any courses available  in the area. So I started  helping others but no charge.  Over the years my group has grown unbelievably and I/we have won awards as a voluntary  group. No one is paid.
 When I started my group I didnt realize  I that I had found my purpose in life. Im now 78 years old.
My website is www.practicemakesperfect.org.uk
there are links on the homepage  to my new YouTube channel  .People from anywhere can learn British Sign Language  from the video  topics from my dvd . Recently  we were fortunate enough to  get some funding £800   to add  English subtitles .I'm hoping to get funding of £1,000  in the near future to have a replication run of 1,000 dvd's so that I can support more people who want to learn but need subtitles and dont have access to the internet.
Links to our Facebook groups and Pintrest board files are also on our homepage.

We held a SignWriting day work shop for some of our committee members and others to learn SW.  It was a success.
One  weekend I started adding to the British  SW Dictionary by using the  American SW Dictionary and finding signs that were the same as British and copying them to the British Dictionary. I managed to complete about 1,000 signs and  recently I asked Valerie for a link so that I could down load and print out the British  SW dictionary.
I dont know if my experience  with Sign language and SignWriting is of interest to you but I felt that I should share it with you.
My best wishes to you with your endeavour.
Maureen

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------
From: 川音リオ <rio.kawane at GMAIL.COM>
Date: 30/01/2022 14:54 (GMT+00:00)
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Japanese Translation for Signwriting? (Also, an Introduction)

Uhh... I have never used maillists in my life before, so I hope I'm doing this right...

So, um, hello to everyone reading this message. I'm 川音リオ@KawaneRio, an ordinary grammatologist from Virtual Japan.

Before I ask my question for the day, I just wanted to say, to dear Valerie Sutton,

I Thank you. So much. For your extraordinary work on making a complete writing system for sign languages.
I first found out about your work in a book called The World's Writing Systems by Peter T. Daniels and William Bright. Your name was mentioned just briefly among other inventors of various notations for symbols of signing, movement, dancing, et cetera. However, the exquisite writing system that you had illustrated definitely left a reverence toward you along with this fuzzy sentiment for what could be possible with this. I tried learning about your system when I was in gradeschool, but I did not have the resources nor the knowledge to understand everything other than the fact that such system existed.
But recently, especially around 2021, my life has changed. I was spending more time on Virtual Reality than Real Life on some days, communicating with people around the globe as if they were right next to me (it's like the invention of telephone all over again🤣).

In case you have not heard of Virtual Reality, it's a technology where you can communicate with others, but in 3D; almost like a video game with lots of players, except those players are real people and not a random character made by the game.

The amazing thing about this "Virtual Reality", or VR for short, is that it allows you to see the hand and head movement of other people in real time! People Hard of Hearing, or even those who are deaf can play in VR given that they don't get headaches and eyestrains. However, there is a catch: most people are limited to just 7 handsigns with the game controllers available today. One of the most wellknown deaf communities in the Virtual World, known as Helping Hands, has proposed a way for Deaf/HoH users to communicate by using a special dialect of ASL, limited by just mere 7 handsigns! Thus, VRASL was created; not just by anyone, but by the community of deaf users and certified teachers of sign languages.

Meanwhile, in Virtual Japan, there is a growing community of deaf/mute users, also known as 無言勢(mugon-zei). The thing with Japan though is that, even though there is a massive demand for Japanese Sign Language, also known as 日本手話(Nihon Shuwa, NS for short) in the growing community, unlike ASL, there are not many resources! When it comes to VRJSL; well, the resources are nonexistent.

My mission here, as a fellow grammatologist, is to make a free and open dictionary for Virtual Reality Japanese Sign Language, or VRJSL for short, available for anyone to view and use for the Virtual World!

Sorry that was a bit longer than I had initially expected. Now, for the question:

Are there any Japanese or Chinese translations of technical terms used in SuttonSignWriting? Specifically, I am looking for Japanese translations of "Perspective View" and "Top View", but if there is a comprehensive glossary of technical terms (especially for each of the handsigns) translated in other languages already, I would love to know as it would help me immensely in making my dictionary!

Thank you so much for your time reading this rather stilted loft about myself, but I would honestly appreciate any help on the Japanese Translation topic.

では〱。

  ────川音リオ@KawaneRio

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: