[Sw-l] How do you write SW as fast as script writing for spoken languages?

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 19 16:26:24 UTC 2022

This has always been an interesting discussion for me. :-)

I never really learned SignWriting shorthand as it was designed and used originally. I did talk about it with Valerie quite extensively, though. She had told me that the handbook you are referring to needed to be updated if it were to be used because the system has gone through a lot of changes since it has been in use. That is probably why it isn’t available for download.

Carlos sent you a link to a presentation that I did on this topic. It is a good place to start, but even my handwriting has changed since then since it is coming up on 10 years since. Wow! I guess I should look at how I handwrite now and document it somehow. I know that there are a lot of symbol changes for faster writing, for one.

I have also been doing a lot of dictionary sorting lately so I have been writing by SignSpellingSequence. I have often wondered if it were to become established and commonly used if inputing solely by SignSpellingSequence would be a fast way to write as well. It makes it easy for writing, but makes reading very difficult as it loses all visual aspect of SignWriting, so I am not so sure if it is a good thing to consider. Ha!

I have also been testing out various approaches to make it so I can write fewer symbols, including the use of timing symbols in a new way, but I haven’t really gotten to a place where I am satisfied that it works well. I know that I mentioned it in the presentation I gave in 2014 and it has been picked up by others around the world, but I haven’t really used it much myself.

Adam