[Sw-l] What better way to write sign with more moves and handshapes

Profo Rubens Almeida rubens.escritadesinais at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 3 23:23:57 UTC 2022

Hello everyone on the SignWriting List,

Recently there was a question that we talked about in the SignWriting
Brasil WhatsApp group regarding how to write a sign that uses more
movements and more than one handshape. The example was the audiovisual
spelling in Libras. There was a member of the group that did the direct
writing (term I use for writing that is not done and 2 steps), however, I
found the writing to be confusing, difficult to read, so I suggested
writing in 2 steps (according to example (1) of the attached video) in
order to facilitate reading.

I learned from Adam that this is the best option in these cases, when some
time ago I introduced him to the SignWriting script used in Libras with two
writing possibilities. Adam explained that the writing (from example 3 in
the attached video) was more readable.

My question is how can I understand when I can use direct writing in order
to save graphemes and spaces when writing signs with more movements and
more than one handshape, and also where can I find more guidelines,
references to publications that clarify this question .

Thank you in advance for everyone's attention and support!

Here's a link to the video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/IxD7Kfc2uow

Hugs!

Rubens Almeida