[Sw-l] What better way to write sign with more moves and handshapes

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed May 4 15:02:01 UTC 2022

Hi Rubens,

How do you write down LIBRAS signs for AUDIO, VISUAL, SIGN and WRITING?  I
need only one sign for AUDIO, VISUAL, SIGN and WRITING.

Best regards,

André

De :  Adam Frost <icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Tue, 03 May 2022 17:17:38 -0700
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: What better way to write sign with more moves and handshapes

Hello Rubens,

A very good question. I don¹t think there is any ³standard² guideline about
how to write these cases. It is really what is the most readable to those
who use the language.

Since I am not native to Libras, I can¹t give you a definite answer for both
spelling. However, I can give you some help regardless as a native signer.
:-)

When I personally face these sort of issues, I ask myself if the sign is a
compound, which means there are two separate parts to the sign as if they
had their own separate meaning. The English words for audiovisual and
SIgnWriting are compounds (audio + visual and Sign + Writing). So with that
in mind, when I look at the sign for ³audiovisual² in your video, I get the
feeling there are two parts. Because of that, I would pick the first example
because it is written to show the separation. (Although I would reduce the
gap between so they aren¹t read as separate words.)

Of course, since I am not a native Libras signer ­ my Libras is minimum at
most ­ my interpretation could be wrong and there isn¹t a compound in two
signs here. If that were the case, the second spelling might be better.
However, I would suggest a minor change in spelling since I didn¹t see an
inward traveling movement between the first and second handshape like there
was to the last handshape. (I placed the handshape above, but it could also
be placed next to as well.)

The same could be said for the Libras sign for SignWriting. The first
example is written as if it is a compound, while the second spelling is
written as if it were one sign. To me as a non-native Libras signer, I don¹t
see that sign as a compound and would probably use the second spelling. But
maybe it is a compound and should be written as in the first spelling.

Adam

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu