[Sw-l] What better way to write sign with more moves and handshapes

Sat May 7 16:39:16 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
May 7, 2022

Hello SW List, and AnnaGrace,

Thank you for this question about children writing SignWriting by hand - children are more skilled than the adults! And they learn to read faster too - so both the SignWriting Printing, for reading literature, and SignWriting Handwriting, for writing by hand, are actually easy for children who use sign language as their primary language…

Back in 1999, we started the SignWriting Literacy Project:

SignWriting Literacy Project
https://www.signwriting.org/forums/literacy/index.html

And some of the Teacher’s Reports are wonderful, showing photo after photo of Deaf children writing by hand and it is my understanding it was fun!

One such group of photos I fell in love with - from Albuquerque, New Mexico… I believe the child is from a Navajo Indian Tribe nearby - Dr. Cecilia Flood wrote her dissertation on children learning SignWriting and as a part of her dissertation, she studied a classroom of Deaf children learning SignWriting…

SignWriting in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
https://www.signwriting.org/usa/newmexico/albuquerque/albuqu.html

Look at this example below...
https://www.signwriting.org/usa/newmexico/albuquerque/albuqu03.html

> On May 5, 2022, at 5:04 AM, Ms. AnnaGrace <msannagrace20 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I love the discussion in this thread.
>
> While readability is important, we should keep in mind the writability of the symbols is also important.
>
> In other words, a person should be able to write without requiring advanced drawing skills (eg, overlapping handshapes).
>
> I ask myself, “Would an eight-year-old child be able to pen this?”
>
> Cheers,
> AnnaGrace

————