[Sw-l] Termology used in the dimensionality (perspective) of the Sutton SignWriting system

Fri Nov 4 06:25:18 UTC 2022

Signwriting List
November 3, 2022

Welcome to the new members who have just joined the SignWriting List… Feel free to ask questions and post messages here on the SignWriting List, in any spoken or sign language.

And thank you Professor Rubens and Steve, for your discussion of the terminology of Front View and Top View.

Thank you Steve, for mentioning your Internet Draft. Do you have an Internet Draft now? If not that is fine...They are so detailed and well written…If you have a link to older ones, I know I will read it and I am sure others will too.

Rubens - regarding your question about Front View and Top View -

We use the terms Front View and Top View a lot, in flexible ways - be flexible. The terms can be applied to handshapes, and movement symbols - even to the viewpoints of whole documents, for example theatrical plays written in SignWriting can be viewed as if watching a stage from the “Front View” (sitting in the audience) or viewing whole signs from the “Top View” because the depth in the signs are hard to read otherwise, and that involves both movement symbols and hands - there is even a Side View in Movement Writing that is used frequently - and as you mentioned, Rubens, there are Diagonal Planes too - and even Saggittal Planes, which we used to call the “Door Plane” because it was parallel with an open door - but that was long ago and we tried to simplify SignWriting with just discussing two planes - the Front Wall Plane and the Floor Plane - so it would be easier for people…

But these terms are intermixed - one sign can have the hands parallel to the Front Wall while at the same time the movement arrows are parallel to the Floor, and so you could argue that the whole sign has mixed viewpoints, partially Top View and partially Front View and yet strangely enough, the signs are readable that way.

A single-stemmed arrow, for example, is showing movement parallel to the Floor Plane, so it is generally read from the Top View - Most symbols parallel to the Floor are read from the Top View, like looking down - there are only a couple of exceptions in handshapes - the Heel of Hand handshapes are parallel with the Floor Plane, but viewed from the "Front View” (not the Top View) -  See page 110 in the International Hands Manual - see attached screen capture of page 110:

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu