[Sw-l] Six SignWriting Topics, Topic 5, Writing Torso & Body Movement

Thu Nov 17 16:11:48 UTC 2022

SignWriting List,
November 17, 2022

Thank you Professor Reubens for your interest in the history of the International Movement Writing Alphabet (IMWA) and the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA). The IMWA was wonderful in many respects because all the symbols were put together for you. But there were a lot of symbols and so in 2008 Steve and Adam and I worked together on preparing an ISWA 2008 and then later improvements were made and we presented the ISWA 2010, which is now the world standard, and there is no going back because software programs around the world are built on the ISWA 2010, including Unicode.

That doesn’t mean that we cannot write with the symbols for mime and gesture which were taken away, it just means that the symbols need to be constructed, either written by hand or pieced together by computer in graphics programs or in other software.

Sometimes I regret that we do not have some of the symbols from Movement Writing in the ISWA for writing gesture and mime and sign language theater, but we can still construct them, and if you know the symbols they are there for you.

I am still working on the headers of the new PDF I will post documenting every symbol in the IMWA, so it is not ready yet, but it will be in a few days. However, here are some links that might be of interest right now:

IMWA 1995-2004-2007 and ISWA 2008 & 2010

Sutton’s SymbolBank
https://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/

IMWA 1995 - 2004 - 2007
https://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/IMWA2004/