[Sw-l] Sign Language Wikipedia support servers have been rebuilt

Sun Oct 16 17:33:57 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
October 16, 2022

Hi SignWriting List, and Steve!

Thank you for saving our Sign Language Wikipedias on the Wikimedia incubator, Steve. A big job and donation of your time - we are very fortunate for your expertise and stewardship.

The Sign Language Wikipedias can be found here:
https://www.signwriting.org/encyclopedia/

From a message I read posted by Steve on the SW Gitter platform today:

Steve wrote: "These servers are also used for the Rand SignWriting Keyboard, so I'm glad that will continue to function properly without requiring having to be rewritten.” Thank you Yair Rand, for the Rand keyboard!

and Steve continued to write on Gitter”

"New development should use the Sutton SignWriting packaged: https://www.sutton-signwriting.io/#production”

For those interested in softward development, I would strongly suggest joining the SignWriting Community on Gitter, where Steve and others post messages about their software development:

SignWriting Community on Gitter
https://gitter.im/sutton-signwriting/community

I follow the Gitter chat with Steve and others and it has been invaluable information -

I think you all should know, that when I retired in 2020, (I still do work, but it is in retirement), Steve started working full time for the University of Iowa, and we are so fortunate, that Steve chose to continue to help SignWriting on the weekends, when he is not working at his full time job during the week. This is a tremendous gift to all SignWriting users, because without the SignWriting and Wikipedia-related servers, which Steve keeps running and servicing, SignWriting would not be on the internet in the way it is now... So a hearty thank you, Steve, for dedicating your time to SignWriting and for providing us our Sign Language Wikipedias for the next couple of years…maybe something more can be done to continue them in the future. A project for all of us to consider...

SignWriting is based on volunteers, since it has little or no funding and our non-profit closed in 2020, so I ask, if you can, please donate to Steve’s work to keep our servers running:

Help keep the SignWriting servers
and Wikipedia-related servers running smoothly:

Go to:
https://steve.signwriting.org/

Many thanks, Steve, and to all SignWriting users -

Val ;-)