[Sw-l] historic video on SignWriting posted

Wed Jan 11 18:11:23 UTC 2023

SignWriting List
January 11, 2023

https://youtu.be/bCevkVcMkg0

Deaf Perspectives on SignWriting
original video filmed in Valerie Sutton’s living room in the 1990s
This is before cell phones so it is a poor quality video ;-)

There is a section at the end by Bonita Ewan that was never posted until now… the quality of the video does not matter - what matters is that our Deaf members wanted to express their feelings about SignWriting…long before people accepted that sign languages can be written...

Many thanks to the wonderful members of the original DAC for your willingness to be interviewed  - thanks to Lucinda O’Grady, Bonita Ewan, Kathleen Say and Denny Voreck, and thanks to Melissa Smith for the Sign-to-Voice interpreting (ASL to English).

Writing is just a recording device like a video tape - and we are not changing ASL when we write it ;;; but people did not know that, so we made this old video!

I am working on adding captions now...

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu