World Wide Words -- 20 Oct 07

Fri Oct 19 15:59:53 UTC 2007

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 558         Saturday 20 October 2007
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      This newsletter is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

       A formatted version of this newsletter is available
       online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/cxnm.htm

GEIS AND GARNISH  Enough needs to be said following the piece last
week on "geis" that I've put feedback on it in a separate item. A
Sic! item mentioning "garnish" provoked a big correspondence, but
this issue is so full that I've held comment over until next week.

SPURTLE  David Carr e-mailed from Canada following the item on the
Golden Spurtle last week: "Quite amazing, Mr Quinion, that you have
never heard of spurtles." Alison Melville in Port of Spain feels
the same: "I am a state of mild shock as a result of learning that
'spurtle' was a word hitherto unknown to you." CKE, Ms Melville and
Mr Carr - Can't Know Everything. Nicola Young noted: "Spurtles are
well known in New Zealand, probably due to the large number of
Scots who settled here in the late nineteenth century and since. I
thought that everyone made porridge with one!" Lesley Shaw issued
an invitation: "If you ever come to Queensland I'll take you to a
Saturday morning market and buy you a spurtle. They're big in the
homecrafts woodturning industry and are really handy - great for
grandchildren to bang on saucepan lids, suitable for threatening
visitors who pinch tasty bits out of cooking pots - and are quite
attractive when nicely turned with a slightly bulbous working end
and a shaped handle part." Jeff Lewis told me about a variation:
"In Devon, a wooden stirring stick, sometimes with a flattened
spatula-like end, is called a spuddle. Several pubs hang one in
'spuddlers corner', where gossips and 'stirrers' congregate."

BOTTLE  Several readers commented that they had heard "bottle" came
from rhyming slang "bottle of beer" = fear. This may have been a
contributing factor but I've no evidence either way. Robin Fosdal
suggested that "bottle", courage, came from an ability to control
one's bottle (arse) in the face of bowel-melting threats. That is
plausible, too.

MISTAKE OF THE WEEK  The US writer on slang mentioned in the piece
about Old Leather Arse is Tom Dalzell, not Tam Dalyell. The latter
is a well-known Scots politician. Apologies to both.

2. Weird Words: Pelf
Money, especially when gained dishonestly or dishonourably.

The only place you're likely to find this word used at all often is
in the Indian subcontinent, where it still forms part of the active
English vocabulary. It's now rare elsewhere except in historical
contexts or among writers who like to demonstrate the breadth of
their vocabularies. Those who know the words of The Red Flag will
recall one verse:

  It suits today the weak and base,
  Whose minds are fixed on pelf and place
  To cringe before the rich man's frown,
  And haul the sacred emblem down.

You might replace "pelf" by "ill-gotten gains" or "filthy lucre" or
other expressions that disparage the senseless acquisition of mere
wealth or which express the Christian view that the love of money
is the root of all evil. Its own root is the Old French "pelfre",
booty or spoils. A relative has bequeathed us "pilfer", to steal
things of little value. The first sense of "pelf" in English was of
objects of value that had been stolen or taken as the spoils of
war. By the fifteenth century it had taken on the idea of money or
riches, but particularly seen as a corrupting influence. Abraham
Lincoln had this sense in mind when he wrote in 1864: "Murders for
old grudges, and murders for pelf, proceed under any cloak that
will best cover for the occasion."

When the Reverend Henry Todd produced a new edition of Samuel
Johnson's famous Dictionary in 1818, he added "paltry stuff" to Dr
Johnson's definition of "money, riches". That wasn't a pejorative
editorial comment but a note of a usage that Johnson had left out
because it was already defunct in the London speech of his time,
though it clings on to this day in some British dialects. It had
been around since about 1550, meaning broadly trash or rubbish. In
1595 Stephen Gosson wrote in Pleasant Quips For Upstart Newfangled
Gentlewomen, "All this new pelf, now sold in shops, in value true,
not worth a louse." It could also mean detritus or waste: in 1589
George Puttenham said in The Arte of English Poesie that "Pelf is
properly the scraps or shreds of tailors and of skinners". Dialect
senses have included grass, roots, weeds and other waste material
raked off the land.

All in all, not a word you will want to make friends with.

3. Topical Words: Spanish practices
A long-running dispute between the Communication Workers' Union and
the Post Office in the UK, which culminated recently in a series of
strikes, has brought once again to public attention two terms that
had to some extent fallen fallow following a period of comparative
industrial quietude. One is "wildcat strike". The other is "Spanish
practices", which the Post Office management says are rife within
the business.

This is less exotic than it sounds. It's a well-understood term in
British labour relations for long-standing workplace restrictive
practices, something unauthorised or irregular but to which a blind
eye is turned by management in order to preserve harmony within the
workforce. The term became infamous in the 1980s as a result of
battles between the print unions and management in the newspaper
industry in Fleet Street. Newspapers had been losing money heavily
for years but feared to confront the complex interplay of unions
involved in the hot-metal production process - in the 1970s, for
example, the Times had 47 chapels (branches) of eight unions. The
Spanish practices included deliberate overmanning; union control
over who was hired; demands for cash payments to remake a page as
deadlines approached; machine-room employees who claimed wages for
workers who didn't exist; and men who might be absent for whole
days while moonlighting at other jobs but who would be covered by
unspoken agreements not to notice. These were swept away by new
technology and confrontations with a rougher breed of proprietor,
such as Eddie Shah, Robert Maxwell and Rupert Murdoch.

Understandably, many people have complained about the term, both
then and now, on the grounds that it unnecessarily denigrates the
Spanish. Commentators in the newspaper business at the time say it
was Robert Maxwell who first applied the term "Spanish practices"
to the print workers. The original - known from the 1930s - was
"old Spanish customs", a humorous, nod-and-wink reference to what
was politely referred to as "custom and practice".

The British have in the past had a difficult relationship with the
Spanish (as they have had with the Dutch), which arose from the
commercial and military rivalry between the two seafaring powers
that can be traced back beyond the Armada of 1588. In the Cassell
Dictionary of Slang, Jonathon Green begins a list of the resulting
derogatory terms by saying that "Spanish" was "used in combinations
to denote arrogance, duplicity, treachery, sexual corruption, etc."
The Spanish gout was syphilis; Spanish money was empty compliments
and meaningless courtesies; a Spanish padlock was a chastity belt;
and a Spanish trumpeter was a donkey braying. Some have argued,
without substantiation, that the term Spanish practices refers to
the Inquisition; in his 1996 book, I Couldn't Paint Golden Angels,
Albert Meltzer asserted that "old Spanish customs" was American
slang brought over to the UK through a hit song of the 1930s, but
I've not been able to trace either slang term or lyric.

Now that the postal workers' dispute has been settled - although
unofficial strikes continue in some places - perhaps the term will
vanish from our newspapers again. The most enduring effect of the
strike is likely to be that even fewer people than before will be
writing personal letters.

4. Q&A: Brass tacks
Q. One of the guys in my office sat down at his desk and commented,
"Time to get down to brass tacks this morning, boys." Of course, I
immediately rushed to your site to look it up and since it wasn't
there, I'm askin'. [Dean O'Kelley; related messages have come from
Karen Indermuehle, Linda Lindenfelser, Nicholas Brandes and Dave
Cotton]

A. I'm answerin', I'm answerin' ...

The meaning of "to get down to brass tacks" is clear enough: to
concern oneself with the key issues of some matter or to focus on
the immediate business at hand. You sometimes see this online as
"brass tax", an error that may have come about because there's no
very obvious image on which to hang the expression.

Its origin is not altogether certain, though we do know that it's
American. The first examples appear in newspapers in the 1860s and
early 1870s. The first I know of is dated 1863, from The Tri-Weekly
Telegraph of Houston, Texas: "When you come down to 'brass tacks' -
if we may be allowed the expression - everybody is governed by
selfishness." That was unearthed by Fred Shapiro of the American
Dialect Society. Barry Popik, of the same society, found another
instance, of January 1867, in the Daily Whig & Courier of Bangor,
Maine: "The Galveston Bulletin says that Texas must 'come down to
brass tacks' and accept the constitutional amendment, unless the
people wish Congress to proceed with reconstruction." I've since
found further examples from the early 1870s, all of them from the
Galveston Daily News of Texas. Might "brass tacks" be a Texanism?
It seems likely.

Until recently, the lack of early evidence - all the examples above
have been found in the past year or so - didn't make it clear what
country it came from or anything about it. This has led to a set of
more or less fanciful stories. It has been said that it refers to
cleaning the hull of a wooden ship, scraping off weed and barnacles
until the bolts that held its hull together (the "brass tacks" of
the expression) were exposed. Others point to the brass tacks often
used in upholstery because they won't rust and stain the fabric; to
reupholster a chair would require the craftsman to get down to the
brass tacks. The schoolboy prank of putting tacks on chair seats to
puncture the pride of the unwary has been suggested as its genesis.
However, much the most common story - the one most widely believed
- says that it's Cockney rhyming slang meaning facts ("tacks" and
"facts" rhyme in Cockney speech).

We can dismiss most of these for good reasons. The expression has
no known connection with the sea and hull fastenings were always of
copper, not brass. Though brass tacks were used in furnishings, the
association with the phrase seems more than a little stretched. The
suggestion of a Cockney origin was put forward by Eric Partridge
and supported by Jonathon Green, but as the idiom is certainly
American in origin, it seems unlikely.

The chair-seat practical joke origin has something going for it, in
that it's directly relevant to the "get down to" part of the saying
and might refer to the painful duty of facing facts and getting on
with the job. But there's no contemporary evidence and somehow I
can't see a childish practical joke leading to a colloquial term
used by adults.

Yet another idea is that it refers to the brass nails or tacks set
into the counter of a hardware store or draper's shop a yard apart
to measure lengths of material. The idea here is that measurements
were often casually made by the almost immemorial method of using
the distance between the nose and the tip of the outstretched hand
as a yard. As this was imprecise, to request an exact measurement
using the brass tacks on the counter would be to focus on the true
facts of the matter. We can't be sure about this, but the homely
analogy is seductive. The use of brass markers in this way long
predates the earliest appearance of the idiom, though it was more
common in the earlier nineteenth century to describe them as brass
nails rather than brass tacks, the latter term only becoming common
later in the century. But "brass tacks" was certainly used in this
sense. For example, this appeared in Scribners Monthly in August
1880: "I hurried over to Seabright's. There was a little square
counter, heaped with calicoes and other gear, except a small space
clear for measuring, with the yards tacked off with brass tacks."

As you will gather, I prefer this explanation.

5. Feedback: Geis and geas
Unfortunately, Irish is all Greek to me. After last week's Weird
Words item, several people pointed out that the modern Irish plural
of "geis" is "geasa". The one I gave, "geisa", incorrectly mixed up
a historical form with the modern one, though it's given as an
alternative in the new edition of the Shorter Oxford English
Dictionary.

I was confused about its pronunciation, too, so I consulted experts
on the Irish language: Greg Toner, Professor of Irish Language and
Literature at the University of Ulster; Professor Dónall O'Baoill,
Head of the School of Languages at Queen's University, Belfast; and
Jeffrey Huntsman, who taught Old Irish for 40 years and e-mailed
from Indiana to put his experience at my disposal.

One trouble foreigners have with Irish is that its spelling system
is idiosyncratic (though internally consistent) and makes it hard
to work out how to pronounce words. As one example, "gh" is silent
away from the beginnings of words, which is in part why the port of
Dún Laoghaire near Dublin is said as "dunleary". Irish also has a
lot of what linguists call palatal consonants, said with the tongue
touching the roof of the mouth back from the teeth ridge, which are
often marked by the presence of vowels that aren't themselves said.
This affects the pronunciation of the "g" and "s" in "geis", "geas"
and "geasa" in a way that isn't always easy for English speakers to
catch, leading to various mishearings.

The experts agree that "geis" is correctly said as "gesh" in Irish.
The "s" becomes palatal "sh" through the influence of the preceding
"i", which is there to indicate that but isn't itself sounded. The
other spelling, "geas", is known in modern Irish as well as Scots
Gaelic and may be a back formation from the plural. It's said in a
slightly different way, but non-native speakers might find it hard
to spot how; the few English dictionaries that include it use the
same pronunciation for both it and "geis". The plural, "geasa", is
said roughly like "geis", but with an unvoiced final "uh" sound, as
"gesha".

I hope all is now clear!

Peter Weinrich e-mailed about a review in The Toronto Globe and
Mail on Saturday 13 October of a book of short stories by William
Trevor. The reviewer said: 'Trevor's contribution to literature is
already an agreed three-dimensional crevice that the dithering of
this or any reviewer will not budge.' Mr Weinrich was puzzled to
know how Trevor's contribution could be a crevice or how a crevice
would be anything but three-dimensional. How to budge one defied
his comprehension. He noted, "The New Yorker used to run column
fillers titled 'Hold that Metaphor'; perhaps World Wide Words might
take it up!"

Last Saturday Philip Platts heard someone on the Today programme on
BBC Radio 4 say about the England cricket team: "As long as we keep
our feet on the ground and go in the right direction we can go
anywhere". Truer words were never spoken.

"Walking through a mall in Ottawa recently," reports Chris Parsley,
"I noticed an advertisement in a bookstore for a well-known series
of books that proclaimed in big bold writing '30% Off For Dummies'.
I always knew that there was a price to pay for being smart."

The fine weather tempted my wife and me to Westonbirt Arboretum,
renowned for its autumn tints. There we saw a classic example of a
greengrocer's apostrophe, though as it was on a van selling a hot
Cornish delicacy, it should be a pasty-maker's apostrophe. The van
had at least three examples of "pasty's" when "pasties" would have
been correct. A photo is in the online version of this newsletter.

This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed. The address is
http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
  be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org
* Items for "Sic!" should go to wordsclangers at worldwidewords.org
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q&A section should be
  addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  use this to respond to published answers to questions - e-mail
  the comment address instead)
  server should be addressed to wordssubs at worldwidewords.org

The World Wide Words newsletter and Web site are free, but if you

the copyright notice above. Reproduction in printed publications or
on Web sites needs prior permission, for which you should contact
the editor at wordseditor at worldwidewords.org .