World Wide Words -- 10 Apr 09

Fri Apr 10 14:30:02 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 634          Saturday 11 April 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      A formatted version of this newsletter is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/iwmm.htm

      This newsletter is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font

MOCK-CLASSICAL TRADE NAMES  Following my confession in the piece on
"purdonium" last week that I had been unable to trace any mention
of "athicktobathron", Shayna Kravetz searched using a variation in
spelling and found these further examples of the early nineteenth-
century fashion for exotic trade names:

    It is hardly to be expected that we who wear Idrotobolic
    hats, Eureka shirts, Impilia boots, and Panscutorium
    coats - who ride in Eumetableeton carriages, fitted with
    the patent Athiktobathron carriage-steps - who cook our
    potatoes in the Anhydrohepseterion, and envelope our
    heads in Korychlamid night-caps when we retire to rest -
    it is hardly to be expected that we should see anything
    much stranger than ourselves in our visions by day, or
    our dreams by night.
    [People Whom We Have Never Met, by Frank Ives Scudamore,
    1861.]

CHIPTUNE  Several readers pointed out that mainframe computers were
programmed to make music back in the 1950s and 1960s, a famous case
being that of the IBM 7094 that played and sang Daisy Bell in 1962
(Arthur C Clarke heard it and had the computer HAL sing it in the
film 2001: A Space Odyssey). Richard Hallas noted that one computer
I mentioned, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, didn't have a sound chip and
getting music out of it was a special technical challenge, as it
had been for the earlier mainframe computers.

STRONG AND WEAK VERBS  This piece generated many comments. Richard
Hallas asked whether the two past forms of "hang" might suggest two
separate verbs, as happened with "weave". Up to a point. The story
behind the two forms is complicated, but essentially two different
versions of the same verb came in, from Old English and Old Norse.
The Old English form became weak early on but the Old Norse one
stayed strong. The strong form ousted the weak one, an exception to
the general trend, except in the legal sense regarding execution,
which kept the archaic weak form.

Others mentioned characteristically American strong verb forms, in
particular "dove", "snuck" and "pled" as the past tenses of "dive",
"sneak" and "plead". National usages aren't quite so clear cut -
"dived" remains common in the US while "dove" has been recorded in
non-standard British English; "pled" is common only in American law
and in Scots. "Dive" became weak in standard English centuries ago,
before America was colonised, but "dove" reappeared in nineteenth-
century American English through analogy with other strong verbs,
in particular "drive"; it remains restricted largely by geography
rather than by social class. "Snuck" came along rather later, in
the 1870s, probably also through analogy. Writers early on used it
to suggest the speech of ill-educated rural people but it has now
become widely accepted and may even take over as the standard form
in the US.

2. Turns of Phrase: AfPak
AfPak is now the usual way in Washington and within NATO to refer
to Afghanistan and Pakistan jointly. The reasons were spelled out
by the US diplomat Richard Holbrooke in early 2008:

    First of all, we often call the problem AfPak, as in
    Afghanistan Pakistan. This is not just an effort to save
    eight syllables. It is an attempt to indicate and imprint
    in our DNA the fact that there is one theater of war,
    straddling an ill-defined border, the Durand Line, and
    that on the western side of that border, NATO and other
    forces are able to operate. On the eastern side, it's the
    sovereign territory of Pakistan. But it is on the eastern
    side of this ill-defined border that the international
    terrorist movement is located.
    [Hampton Roads International Security Quarterly, 22 March
    2008.]

The abbreviation began to appear in newspapers in February 2009,
following the appointment of Holbrooke as President Obama's special
envoy for the region and the introduction of policies designed to
encourage Pakistan to become more active in countering terrorists
within its borders. It quickly became common.

* Independent, 27 Mar. 2009: The resulting document offers a four-
pronged strategy, including the adoption of the so-called AfPak
approach in which Afghanistan and Pakistan will be handled jointly
under the leadership of the special US envoy Richard Holbrooke.

* Washington Post, 25 Feb. 2009: The Obama administration has
stated that it wants a regional solution to what acronym-loving
Washington insiders are now referring to as the AFPAK problem, but
they are playing catch-up to the militants who have always viewed
this struggle in regional terms. [It's not an acronym--Ed.]

3. Weird Words: Ixnay  /'IksnEI/
Nix. Nothing.

This delightfully weird word is best known in the US, as the type
of wordplay that created it was invented in that country and has
always been most popular there. It's Pig Latin, or igpay atinlay,
as Pig Latinists would name it, sometimes instead called Hog Latin.
Originally a children's word game that had been around since at
least the 1890s, it became fashionable among adults in the 1920s
and 1930s. The first known appearance of "ixnay" in print is in the
film script for the early talkie Broadway Melody in 1929.

The Pig Latin rules are simple: if a word starts with a vowel, then
add "ay" to the end; otherwise move the first letter (or pair of
letters if they represent one sound) to the end and add "ay" to it.
So "imay oingay ootay ostonbay" is Pig Latin for "I'm going to
Boston". The film The Lion King included "ixnay on the upidstay" -
"nix on the stupid" or "don't be stupid". Yet another example:

    Something glinted and caught his eye. He hissed to the
    nearest kid, "Ixnay on the ottlebay!" The eight-year-old,
    squirming in his unaccustomed clothes, flushed and tucked
    the busted bottle farther out of sight.
    [Gladiator-at-Law, by Frederik Pohl and C M Kornbluth,
    1955.]

"Ixnay" is from "nix", nothing, a slang term that was imported from
German "nichts" at the end of the eighteenth century.

It's uncertain to what extent Pig Latin was used as a cant or argot
designed to keep criminal discussions private, but "ixnay" seems to
have become part of the vocabulary of the hard-boiled hoodlums of
the period:

    I would've done the job only he wanted to put me on the
    nut, so I says ixnay, gimme the geetus now.
    [Los Angeles Times, 8 November 1931, in an article with
    the title Underworld "Lingo" Brought up to Date. "Nut"
    means a debt; "geetus" is money.]

The term was carried abroad in the detective novels of the time,
initially perplexing British readers until greater understanding of
American mores in wartime and after clued us all up and allowed
"ixnay" to appear in British English, though as an exoticism.

4. Recently noted
STEAMED-UP  A slang term of the British police came to wide public
attention as the result of the G20 summit in London earlier this
month. Kettling is a system by which police contain demonstrators
within an area, often for many hours, as a method of control. The
tactic has been used for some years, following the passing of laws
designed to counter terrorism, and has been ruled as legal by the
Law Lords despite strong criticism of it as false imprisonment, in
particular of passers-by accidentally caught within the cordon. The
term for it, however, is new. Some puzzlement over its origin has
followed, with one academic finding a linguistic parallel in German
tactics in the Warsaw ghetto in the early 1940s. But it is
reasonably certain it arose because someone in the police watches
television nature programmes. "Kettling" is used in the US for the
circling and soaring of a group of migrating hawks within rising
air currents to gain height. It has also been employed for a
hunting technique of dolphins, which circle a shoal of fish while
emitting a curtain of air bubbles to trap the fish inside. Though
the origin of the hawk sense is obscure, the other is presumably
related to the term for the noise that's caused by bubbles of steam
forming and condensing within the boiler of a heating system.

WHAT'S THE FRENCH FOR CODPIECE?  Now that cod is hard to come by
because of over-fishing around the British Isles, retailers and the
public are turning to a more plentiful, if less tasty, alternative.
Its name is pollack, which rhymes with bollock, as in the British
low slang term for a testicle (usually as the dismissive expletive
"bollocks!"). The Sainsbury supermarket chain fears embarrassment
may cause the more sensitive among its shoppers to avoid it. So
they've rebranded pollack as "colin". This is said not as in Firth
or Powell but as in French: say it as "co-lan" with a nasal ending.
Of course, people will Anglicise it, so making it sound alarmingly
cannibalistic ("we've serving up colin for dinner"). But the big
linguistic issue is that in French colin isn't pollack, but another
fish, hake. The French for pollack is "lieu jaune".

5. Q and A: Well, blow me!
Q. For many years during my childhood, I took violin lessons from
an elderly Englishman in Quebec. On occasion, when expressing great
astonishment, he would heartily slap his knees and exclaim, "Well,
blow me!" Another English acquaintance of my parents, who was of
the same generation (born in the 30s, I would surmise), also used
the expression, which baffled and amused us collectively time and
time again. Do you know the less bawdy origins of this phrase?
[Elisabeth Lauffer]

A. Despite the giggles if an elderly Englishman should without
thinking use this dated exclamation in public these days, there's
nothing particularly indelicate in its origins.

It can be traced back to Britain near the end of the eighteenth
century. The verb is in the sense of the wind blowing. The earliest
form was "blow me tight!" which may suggest inflating a balloon to
the point of explosion, but which is related to an older sense of
"blow" for speaking loudly or angrily or uttering boastful language
that - as you might say - figuratively inflates the speaker's self-
esteem (the American "blowhard" contains the same idea). It was a
mild general curse, sometimes humorous, which an anonymous London
writer in 1848 described as "a burlesque oath". The speaker might
be vexed, or perhaps surprised:

    "Wallingford lock!" they answered. "Lor' love you, sir,
    that's been done away with for over a year. There ain't
    no Wallingford lock now, sir. You're close to Cleeve now.
    Blow me tight if 'ere ain't a gentleman been looking for
    Wallingford lock, Bill!"
    [Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K Jerome, 1888.]

The expression was soon shortened to the "blow me!" form that you
learned from your music teacher. Lots of variations appeared, such
as "blow me pink", "blow me over!", "blow my buttons!", "blow me
down!", and "blow me backwards!"

One uncommonly splendid version of World War Two vintage forcefully
conveyed the speaker's disgust at the prospect of some unpleasant
activity that he had no wish to engage in: "blow that for a game of
soldiers!", which one may guess was first said by some army private
fed up with his lot and in which "blow" was commonly replaced by a
more forceful verb.

    Vermine are ancestors of the lemming. Over the millennia
    more and more vermine were descendants of those vermine
    who, when faced with a cliff edge, squeaked the rodent
    equivalent of Blow that for a Game of Soldiers. Vermine
    now abseil down cliffs, and build small boats to cross
    lakes.
    [Reaper Man, by Terry Pratchett, 1991.]

A recent US television advertisement for Celebrex, John O'Creagh
says, cautions against side effects that might be experienced by
"patients taking aspirin or the elderly."

Peter Millington-Wallace reports: "Here in Denmark, I recently saw
a weird example of globalisation, much as an Italian might view
tinned spaghetti - German canned shish-kebab. As if to emphasise
the strangeness of the product, it said on the label, in Danish:
'Warning. Wooden skewers are not edible'. Damned food fads. Next
they'll be telling me I can't eat pencils, or drink paint."

A story dated 5 April about a kids' fundraiser in the Greensboro
News & Record, North Carolina, was sent in by Peggy Clapper: "They
sold homemade cookies and brownies and lemonade they squeezed from
tables parked at the end of their driveway."

"The question of how IBM intends to finance their intended purchase
of Sun Microsystems," John Kennard notes, "was answered by the IT
PRO Newsletter on Tuesday: 'IBM specifically still appears keen to
open up its coiffeurs and make a play for Sun Microsystems.'"

Jenny Drayden was browsing the entertainment section of the BBC Web
site on Tuesday and was intrigued to come across a heading, "Planet
of the Dead Trailer Revealed!" She wondered if this might be the
place where old trailers go to die. Prosaically, it was announcing
the release of a trailer for the Easter special of Dr Who, Planet
of the Dead - so it was a trailer for a trailer.

This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words newsletter and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this newsletter in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).