World Wide Words -- 03 Apr 10

Fri Apr 2 17:12:17 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 684           Saturday 3 April 2010
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/nuzr.htm

     My personal page on Facebook: http://wwwords.org?FBMQ
     A Facebook discussion group (http://wwwords.org?FBDG)
         Also now on Twitter: http://wwwords.org?TWTR.

 To leave the list or change your subscribed address, see Section
  A below or go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. Please don't e-mail
   me with subscription matters unless you are having problems.

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

GUDDLING  As well as the sense I wrote about, another is known to
Scots. This message came from Jodie Robson: "It's nice to see one
of my favourite words, 'guddling', in World Wide Words this week -
my friend Anne and I spent many happy hours as children guddling
for the tiny flat fish that can be found in the saltings on the
west coast of Scotland. But I was surprised you didn't mention the
other use of it, as something messy - as well as guddling for the
fish, Anne and I spent a good deal of time simply guddling about on
the saltings, doing nothing very much but usually getting wet and
muddy in the process. And I'm ashamed to admit it, but as I type
this, my desk is in a right guddle."

UPDATES  In April 2008, I wrote a snippet about an exotic name for
an unusual punctuation mark, seemingly spelled "comash". A piece by
Frances Peck in the Canadian Language Update this month has given
me the information necessary to write more about it. You will find
the item online via http://wwwords.org?CMMSH. At the same time,
I've updated the page about another odd punctuation mark, the
interrobang: http://wwwords.org?NTRBG.

FEELING CHUFFED!  The message looked like spam, but it checked out.
It began, "The United States Library of Congress has selected your
Web site for inclusion in its historic collections of Internet
materials." I wasn't sure whether I should I be flattered or should
simply admire the breadth and inclusiveness of the Library's
selection criteria. I've since been told that the former is the
appropriate emotion.

2. Turns of Phrase: Malvertising
Malvertising is formed from "malicious" plus "advertising". It's an
online scam in which reputable sites are tricked into distributing
bogus advertisements that link to malicious code. It has become a
significant issue within the past year, with many well-known sites
suffering from the problem, and it's expected to get worse.

A classic example is an ad that offers a free anti-virus scan, but
which instead downloads an application that takes over your browser
to harvest credit-card numbers and passwords or send fake e-mails
through your account. The problem for legitimate owners of sites is
that it's hard to detect the fake ads until somebody complains, by
which time damage has been done and the publisher's reputation
compromised.

"Malvertising" is one type of what's generically called "malware"
("malicious software"), which can be installed on your computer in
a variety of ways. It often used to arrive in e-mail attachments,
but most users have got wise and protect themselves against it. It
now infiltrates in other ways - disguised as a legitimate download
or served up from a contaminated site.

    Publishers have told us that malvertising is one of
    the biggest threats to their business, and antiquated ad
    infrastructure technology is largely at fault.
    [Business Wire, 12 Jan. 2010.]

    The latest threat for internet users is malvertising,
    the use of ad networks for distributing malicious
    software.
    [Cape Times (South Africa), 16 March 2010.]

3. Weird Words: Pace egg play
Easter is the time for many traditional and modern activities in
England, such as the nutters' dance in Bacup, cheese-rolling in
Stilton, the World Coal Carrying Championships in Gawthorpe, bottle
kicking in Hallaton, and pace egg plays in various northern towns.

The last of these is an Easter mummers entertainment or folk play,
related to the tale of St George and the Dragon. It was at one time
common in northern England, particularly in Cumbria, Yorkshire and
Lancashire. It was preserved in these areas, while in other parts
of the country it moved to Christmastime.

Lots of local variations are known, but in the Heptonstall version
in Calderdale it depicts the battle between St George and the Bold
Slasher, the Saracen knight. St George is at first killed, but is
then brought back to life by a mysterious character, the Doctor,
and defeats his enemy. Other characters include the King of Egypt
and the comic Tosspot. In some versions, Tosspot is replaced by the
Fool; extra characters also appear, such as Lord Nelson, Beelzebub
and Dobbin the horse. Traditionally, the mummers were working men
(very rarely women), for whom it was a way to earn money from
audience contributions.

The etymological connection of "pace egg play" with Easter is that
the first word is a variation on the ancient "Pasch", or "Paschal",
both of which are from Pesach, the Hebrew word for Passover. "Pasch
egg", "pace egg" and "paste egg" were all names given at various
times to Easter eggs, usually specially decorated. An etymological
curiosity is that "pace egg play" is a relatively recent term,
presumably created by folklorists, not recorded before it appeared
here:

    In connection with Pace-egging there is the Pace-egg
    or Easter play, which resembles in its main features the
    Christmas mumming play.
    [Old English Customs, by P H Ditchfield, 1896.]

Before then, the play seems not to have been separately named, but
was subsumed within other pace-egging activities, such as another
form of mumming in which performers, "pace-eggers", paraded singing
through the streets to collect funds. A century ago the play was
still very popular in some towns:

    There are no signs of the decline of pace egging as a
    seasonal custom. On the contrary this Easter there have
    been more bands of actors than for years past. The play
    is rather a mystery to many people, who can hardly credit
    that in essentials it goes back to pagan times in
    England.
    [Rochdale Observer, 14 April 1909.]

It died out in the following decades, largely as a result of social
changes provoked by the First World War. Today's enactments, for
example in Calderdale and Cumbria, are reintroductions of the past
half century.

4. This week
NUME NA'VI  If you have long envied students of Klingon, you can
now startle them with your knowledge of Na'vi, the language of the
big blue aliens in Avatar: http://www.learnnavi.org/.

HE'S BEHIND YOU!  A term that has become well established in its
own territory but is unfamiliar outside it is PHOTOBOMB. In its
original sense, a photobomb is a photo in which something odd or
embarrassing is happening in the background that the photographer
didn't notice. The earliest examples of the term I can find date
from 2007. It has since broadened its sense to refer to what one
site calls "the fine art of spoiling a photograph by jumping in on
the action," for example by pulling faces or mooning at the camera.
There's even the REVERSE PHOTOBOMB, in which a photo, ostensibly of
something else, is framed to include an oddity as a way of
recording it without seeming to focus on it.

SURVEYING NATURE  In this International Year of Biodiversity 14
events have been organised across the UK to find, identify and
record species. A report on one of them introduced me to the odd-
looking term BIOBLITZING. It's not new - it was invented in the USA
back in 1996 - but events under its general heading have been run
in Britain only since 2006. The idea behind a BioBlitz (it can be
written with or without capital letters) is that scientists and
volunteers work together to survey a given area within a brief
period, usually 24 hours. Hence the "blitz" part of the word, in
its common sense of a sudden, energetic, and concerted effort to
deal with something. As well as its research value, it also gives
students field experience and popularises science to the public.

5. Q and A: Souped-up
Q. I was reading an article the other day where the writer referred
to something as having been "souped up", and it struck me for the
first time that this is a curious phrase. I'm not sure if it's
common in the UK or the US, but in Australia it's used to refer to
something that's been strengthened or added to, or made more
impressive in some way. I'm not sure whether it should be spelt
"suped up". Do you know its origins? [Peter Coatman, Melbourne,
Australia]

A. "Souped-up" is known both in the UK and the US and was actually
created in the latter country. It's one of the longer-lived slang
terms, still widely used.

In its first sense, in the 1920s, "souped-up" specifically meant to
modify a motor vehicle to increase its power and efficiency. The
earliest example I can find is this:

    Speedster, classy, souped up ... $125.
    [A newspaper advertisement by a Ford dealer in the
    Oakland Tribune of California, 21 Sep. 1924.]

"Souped-up" must at root derive from "super", as in "supercharger".
This term for a device to increase the pressure of the fuel-air
mixture in an engine to improve its performance is known from 1919.
Versions of the device had been invented much earlier, but the term
was created to refer to one developed for aero engines by Sanford A
Moss of General Electric in 1918.

However, there's almost certainly a connection with the foodstuff,
which would account for the shift in spelling. "Soup" has at times
been a slang term applied to several murky liquids. If you're a fan
of American detective stories, you may know "soup" as a term for
nitroglycerine employed in safe-cracking, a slang term widely used
in newspaper reports of criminal activity from 1911 onwards (it was
called soup because it was extracted from dynamite by immersing the
sticks in boiling water). As another application, it was recorded
in Webster's Dictionary in 1911 that "soup" was "any material
injected into a horse with a view to changing its speed or
temperament".

It seems that, in the early 1920s, "supercharger" combined with the
racing and criminal senses of "soup" to make "souped-up".

"Looking in the window of a children's clothes shop in Ripley,
Derbyshire," writes Marj Jawo, "I admired some pretty baby clothes
but was surprised to see a little bonnet labelled as a Hell Mitt."
And half a world away, in Ashfield NSW, David Marshall-Martin found
a similar shop advertising "Holly Communion Outfits."

"I picked up one of my hubby's magazines, issue 43 of Kiteworld."
Nina Brevik says. "I opened it randomly to page 98 and found the
following: 'Davey Blair is a bit different. For starters, he's the
only rider ... who sends me pictures of the mousse he hunts with
his dad for dinner.' I agree. That is different."

Phil Clutts found a sentence in Monday's Charlotte Observer that he
had to read twice: "A man who authorities say is a prison escapee
claims he is a Virginia man who died 27 years ago."

A conundrum for copyeditors from Eoin C Bairéad: "A local-history
society here in Dublin just had a lecture on 'the many Irishmen who
fought on both sides in the Boer War'. How could you phrase that
better without getting over-verbose?"

"As we approach Tax Day over here,", wrote Jim Tang from Hawaii,
"certain core truths still apply, one of which is that lawyers must
never speak in absolutes." He was referring to a quote from a tax
attorney in a feature in the San Francisco Chronicle on 29 March:
"People who work for the IRS in most cases are human."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).