World Wide Words -- 03 Jul 10

Fri Jul 2 16:08:46 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 693           Saturday 3 July 2010
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ncod.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

ALPHABETICISED NOUNS  Y Tani was one of several readers with good
knowledge of Japan who responded in mystification to my Wordface
item last week. This, you may recall, concerned mature Japanese
students of English who insisted that English nouns should always
be in alphabetic order. He wrote "I am Japanese and a long-time
resident of Japan, although I spent my linguistically formative
years in the US. I'm also 53 years old, putting me in the same age
group as Mr Daniel's English class. I have never in my life heard
of such an odd rule. I was so surprised that I called around to
various acquaintances in their 50s and 60s, plus my father (who is
81), to ask. All say they have never been taught such a rule."

Liuzhou e-mailed: "The question about alphabetical nouns in Japan
amused me greatly. I've been teaching in China for fifteen years
and have come across equally idiotic claims. My favourite was when
one professor, the editor of the university's English language
journal, suddenly banned four letter words, because he had read
somewhere that they were taboo. But he banned not just obscenities
but all four letter words, including 'when', 'next', 'time' and
even his own name! He used a figure 4 to avoid spelling it. I wrote
him a note composed solely of four letter words congratulating him
on his wisdom. The edict was withdrawn."

GLOBISH  I confused some readers with an over-abbreviated reference
to the etymology of the word that Robert McCrum spelled "honkie"
(which I might have pointed out is almost always spelled "honky").
It is correct to write, as I did, that it came into Black English
from the older "hunky", which was being used at the time for Polish
immigrants working in the Chicago stockyards. In the interests of
keeping the explanation short, I didn't explain that "hunky" was
originally applied to Americans of Eastern European ancestry (it's
an abbreviated form of "Hungarian"), but came to include any
immigrant of Slavic origin.

FIDDLESTICKS  Following my recent rewrite of the piece about the
origin of the term (see http://wwwords.org?FDST), several readers
commented on a sense that doesn't appear in my dictionaries. Jary
Stavely wrote: "Old-time dance music in the southern mountains of
the US featured rhythmic fiddling, sometimes accompanied by a banjo
or other stringed instrument. Sometimes, though, the rhythm was
accentuated by a second person actually tapping on the strings with
'fiddlesticks' which were different from the fiddler's actual bow."
It's impossible to be sure, but the sense of "fiddlestick" for a
violin bow is so old that this meaning would seem to be a
comparatively modern derived sense.

ONLINE UPDATES  I have corrected and updated the piece about the
diplomatic and military term "AfPak" (http://wwwords.org?AFPAK),
and updated those on "cello scrotum" (http://wwwords.org?CELSC),
"stannator" (http://wwwords.org?STNNR) and "Great Recession"
(http://wwwords.org?GRTRN).

2. Weird Words: Gallivant  /galI'vant/
It's a fine word, which hints of galloping about in frolicsome high
spirits. The Oxford English Dictionary's definition, written in an
earlier age, suggests it means "to gad about in a showy fashion".

I'm not at all sure how often people still describe themselves or
others as gadding about (it feels very old-fashioned to me) but you
do it by going from place to place in search of entertainment or
pleasure, usually with a person of the opposite sex. Its origin in
an old and obsolete German word "gadling" for a vagabond points to
its disreputable nature.

Gallivanting is much like gadding about, though ideally you should
adopt a more ostentatious or indiscreet demeanour. Its antecedents
are rather less clear: the experts wave vaguely in the direction of
"gallant", meaning a dashing man of fashion, a fine gentleman, or a
man who pays special attention to women. That's from the Old French
"galant", from "galer", to make merry.

3. Wordface
FULL-BLOWN  Two readers e-mailed to tell me that last week a column
in the Sydney Morning Herald had a discussion about the origin of
this term and to ask for my view of it. Published suggestions have
mentioned flowers, glass manufacture and superchargers on hot-rod
cars. You have to go back a long way to find the true answer. One
sense of the verb "blow", dating from the fifteenth century, was to
inflate or puff up; nowadays we use "blow up" in this sense, as in
blowing up a balloon, but that's a later formation. Something full-
blown was completely inflated. Originally it was literal (as in
full-blown sails on a ship) but changed into our modern figurative
term for something fully developed. Later, it was confused with a
different ancient verb, also spelled "blow", meaning to blossom (as
in a line of Dryden's, "The Blossoms blow; the Birds on Bushes
sing"), so that "full-blown" took on the specific sense of a flower
in full bloom.

INFLATIONS  We know about inflation in the financial sense, as well
as other words in "-flation", such as deflation and stagflation. A
newish example blew into the vocabulary of economics in an article
by Jeremy Warner in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday. He introduced
his readers to NEGFLATION. He suggested that Western nations may be
facing this new type of financial crisis, which be described as
"static or gently declining real levels of output in combination
with higher-than-desirable inflation." The word isn't new - the US
blogger MaxedOutMama used it in May 2009 - but its appearance in a
national newspaper has given it wider exposure. It's unlikely to
stick around long enough to enter the standard vocabulary.

4. Q and A: Boot camp
Q. Do you have any clues as to where the odd American term "boot
camp" comes from? The meaning seems to have spread to correctional
"short sharp shock" facilities, but I'd imagine it is from the
military originally. Is it because new recruits wear boots? They
wear a lot of other stuff as well. It seems an odd term. [Peter
Needham]

A. It's definitely a services term. Dictionaries often suggest,
following the current entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, that
it dates from the Second World War period, but it's easy to find
examples dating back to the First World War. The earliest I know
about is one dated 1916 that's cited by Jonathan Lighter in the
Historical Dictionary of American Slang. This is a slightly later
reference:

    The fellows are kind of rusty on this wash the clothes
    stuff because they haven't done much of it since they
    came out of the boot camp, which is another name for a
    training station.
    [Galveston Daily News, 16 May 1918.]

This is in a column headed "Marine Corps Musings". It and other
examples confirm Professor Lighter's finding that it was at first a
term of the US Navy and the US Marine Corps (it continued to be
used solely in those services until after the Second World War,
I've been told). It derives from a slightly older slang term "boot"
for a recruit in basic training or an inexperienced enlisted man,
on record from 1911.

Why this should have appeared is uncertain. While it's true that
new recruits were issued boots at the start of basic training and
seemed to spend much of the rest of their time breaking them in, I
agree with you that this seems a slim basis for the invention.

There is a persistent legend that it appeared during the Spanish-
American War of 1898, or at least around that period. Two versions
are told. One has it that sailors' leggings were known as boots and
that the term was transferred to recruits. Another version turned
up nearly half a century ago in the Words, Wit and Wisdom column
written by William Morris; he quoted a letter that he had received
from C E Reynolds, a retired Navy radio chief:

    "When I entered the Navy in 1911," he writes, "an old-
    timer called me a 'rubber-boot sailor.' When I asked for
    an explanation, he told me that prior to about 1890 all
    the men prided themselves on getting out on deck and
    scrubbing down barefooted in the coldest weather. Then
    there was an influx of kids from the midwest. They didn't
    intend to act foolish, so they went ashore and bought
    boots to wear when it was cold. The older hands sneered
    and called them 'rubber boot sailors.' By the time I came
    on the scene, they had shortened the nickname for
    recruits to 'rubber boots.' That gradually was shortened
    and by World War I we just said 'boots.'"
    [Reno Evening Gazette, 16 May 1962.]

I've not been able to find a contemporary example of "rubber-boot
sailor" but Mr Reynolds's recollection is first-hand, is so tightly
dated, and fits so well with other early examples of "boot" for
naval recruits, that we must take his suggested origin seriously.
Certainly, as matters stand, it's the best we can hope for.

A headline Benjamyn Lockwood spotted in the Herald of Bellingham,
WA, on 22 June came from the Associated Press: "Sound Transit train
hits teenage girl, survives". Many other news outlets had the same
headline. Kudos to the Seattle Times, which rewrote it to "Teen
girl hit by Sound Transit train, survives".

Continuing with confusing headlines, Louis DeFalaise would like to
put in evidence one from the Washington Times on 25 June: "Police:
Woman sought to kidnap baby." Proactive policing?

While not wishing to make a joke from death, Janusz Lukasiak found
this sentence in an obituary of 21 June on the Cosmopolitan Review
website to be a remarkable enough example of medical malpractice to
be worth quoting: "All this was cruelly interrupted by illness. The
first signs came soon after the Chilean earthquake in February,
wrongly diagnosed as epilepsy."

Jocelyn Dodd felt that the Malaysian Star might have worded its
report on 26 June rather better: "Teenage pregnancies are becoming
a disturbing trend in the country based on the swelling number of
girls seeking help from the Welfare Department about their
predicament."

On its website, Bay Realty is advertising a "studio New York style
apartment" that is apparently designed for an Arab leader, as it is
"Situated in Sydney's sheik suburb Darlinghurst". The blurb also
mentioned a useful feature: "This new warehouse conversion offers
floorboards throughout."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).