World Wide Words -- 12 Feb 11

Fri Feb 11 17:00:15 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS        ISSUE 723         Saturday 12 February 2011
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/rjtr.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

DOWN TRAINS  Several readers well versed in the minutiae of British
railways systems contest the opinion of others, quoted in the last
issue, that trains to London from Oxford or Cambridge do so in the
down direction. Tim Bourne tells me that he has timetables for the
Oxford line covering various dates, including one from 1865, all of
which show the London direction to be the up line. We've had quite
enough about British railways now, I rather feel.

DASHBOARD  Steve Lawson asked how I could possibly have forgotten a
famous appearance of the word in song, as a characteristic of the
surrey with the fringe on top in Oklahoma: "The wheels are yellow,
the upholstery's brown / The dashboard's genuine leather."

2. Weird Words: Materteral  /m@'t@:t at rl/
Down the years, numerous readers have asked me for a word that was
the female equivalent to "avuncular", characteristic or typical of
an uncle. At the time, I had to reply that I knew of no equivalent
term meaning aunt-like. I am now better informed.

"Materteral" is first recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary
from a journal of 1823. The OED's citation is so brief it doesn't
give much of a flavour of the original but you can see why the
editors truncated it:

    A venerable matron and her virgin sister, who had
    passed the grand climacteric, happening to cast their
    eyes over the plates of these volumes as they were lying
    on our table, and seeing the Herculean attitudes of some
    wrestling, others balancing, some climbing the column of
    pegs, the rope or the mast, others taking the long leap
    with the pole, and vaulting over the bar, exclaimed with
    maternal and materteral anxiety, that the legislature
    ought to prohibit such dangerous sports; since the
    unavoidable accidents, to which human life and limb are
    exposed, are quite sufficient without increasing the
    number of them by wantonness and temerity.
    [The Monthly Review, Dec. 1823. A review by W Taylor
    of two books on teaching gymnastic exercises.]

They don't write stuff like that any more, thank heavens. It was in
a spirit of pedantic humour that "materteral", was conceived (if I
may be permitted to use that word in the company of ladies who have
"passed the grand climacteric") and it continued in that vein in a
book of 1867, Spindrift, in Munsey's Magazine in 1901 and in The
Aunt's Cook Book of 1922. A couple of modern works have used it
seriously but it is otherwise unknown.

The late William Safire, who wrote the On Language column in the
New York Times, didn't know "materteral" either. He was struck by
the lack of a potentially useful adjective for matters auntish and
asked his readers for suggestions to correct the omission. Replies
included "auntique", "tantular" and "tantative". One reader noted
that Latin "amita", one's father's sister, wasn't the root of any
English word and so Safire settled on "amital", though he noted "it
sounds to me like a barbiturate". It has been used, though almost
as rarely as "materteral".

There's an argument for having both. Scholars know that the Latin
root of "avuncular" refers specifically to one's mother's brother
and "materteral" to one's mother's sister. So we could use "amital"
for the paternal aunt and create "patruitic" (from Latin "patruus",
father's brother) to fill the final niche. If they catch on, do
remember you read it here first.

3. Turns of Phrase: Religitigation
It takes a moment to work this out. "Religitigation" is a blend of
"religion" and "litigation". It is a specifically British term that
refers to legal action that sets the faith-based views of religious
groups against human-rights and other legislation that prohibits
discrimination. Someone engaged in such a case is a "religitigant".

Recent cases include that of a Christian registrar who failed to
exempt herself from conducting civil partnerships ceremonies for
gay couples. A Jewish school in London took a case to the supreme
court over its decision to refuse admission to a pupil but lost on
the grounds that its decision amounted to race discrimination. An
airline employee lost her claim to the right to wear a crucifix at
work. A Muslim child in Wales failed to claim the right to wear the
jilbab at school when school rules specified the shalwar kameeze.
Two Christian hoteliers lost a discrimination case against a gay
couple whom they refused to allow to occupy a double-bedded room.

The term has been around for at least the past couple of years. It
is currently restricted to legal and human-rights circles and it is
rare to see it in the press.

4. Wordface
CHANGING WAYS OF SAYING  The Telegraph reported on 5 February on
what were described as interim findings of a study by the British
Library of the way that British speakers pronounce certain words.
The results are actually some early indications from data being
collected in conjunction with the Evolving English exhibition at
the British Library, in which visitors are encouraged to record
their reading of a set text. Regional libraries are taking part,
too, and online it's open to English speakers worldwide: go to
http://www.bl.uk/evolvingenglish/ and click on "map your voice".
(Go to http://www.bl.uk/evolvingenglish/maplisten.html to listen
to the recordings others have made.)

The data so far is unsurprising. The pronunciation of "controversy"
with the stress on the second syllable is said to be used by 75% of
respondents. That's the continuation of a trend that has been noted
for decades: in a survey of pronunciation in 1988, Professor John
Wells of University College London found that it and the older form
with the stress on the first syllable were even then roughly equal
in number of users; by 1998 60% of speakers used the "conTROversy"
stress. Although the shift has been blamed on American influence,
Americans will know this isn't so, because they put the stress on
the first syllable as British speakers traditionally did. However,
Brits are increasingly saying "schedule" in the American way, with
an initial "sk", rather than "sh". Again, that's hardly new - Prof
Wells noted a decade ago that it was being heard quite widely, with
65% of under-35s preferring the US pronunciation.  (James Thurber
wrote in the 1930s about British opposition to this pronunciation
that it was all a matter of schooling.)

Jonnie Robinson, a curator of the exhibition, tells me that - in
spite of the tone of the piece - the evidence collected so far for
six key words shows very little evidence of American influence:
"garage" continues to be said as "garridge" and not in the American
way, "attitude" shows no sign of moving towards the US "attitood",
and "scone" is still widely rhymed with "gone", though social and
regional differences in the UK mean that the US-preferred form with
the vowel of "bone" is also common.

5. Q and A: Saucered and blowed
Q. Any thoughts on the phrase, "saucered and blowed"? This referred
to coffee, too hot to drink until it was poured into the saucer for
a moment, blown on, and then drunk from the saucer. I've heard this
phrase all the time in West Texas and New Mexico. [Dave Hester]

A. The expression is certainly American, turning up at various
times in the south and west of the country. I can't find the exact
form you mention earlier than this syndicated page-filler joke:

    Don Herold tells of the woman bus passenger hurrying
    into a restaurant stop for a quick cup of coffee. It was
    too hot to handle. So an observing and gallant longhorn
    next to her shoved his cup over with: "Take mine, mam.
    It's been saucered and blowed."
    [Logansport Pharos-Tribune (Indiana), 28 June
    1935.]

The joke was widely repeated in various forms around this date and
in the following decades. The implication, of course, was that only
hicks from the sticks did such an ill-bred thing. William Morris,
writing in one of his Words, Wit and Wisdom columns in September
1966, repeats a similar story and comments that he had heard it
long before in Tennessee.

By this date, the phrase - also "saucered and blown" - had become
well-enough known that it had turned into an idiom, implying that
some project had been completed or that everything had been taken
care of and so there was nothing left to do. In the negative it
meant something hadn't yet been made fully ready - a football coach
commented on one of his young players in the Charleston Gazette in
1972 that "He has a long way to go. He hasn't been saucered and
blown yet." Here's a more recent example:

    Besides, I couldn't have won the governor's election
    anyway, since it was, in the Arkansas vernacular,
    "saucered and blowed" - over before it started.
    [My Life, by Bill Clinton, 2004.]

The idea goes back a long way, of course, much further than the
expression itself. A squib appeared in a British newspaper nearly
two centuries ago, in which a Frenchman asked a friend to advise on
the correctness of his manners at dinner:

    "And the coffee?" "There I am certain I was right; it
    was boiling hot, and I poured it in small portions into
    my saucer." "Which was what no one else did; every body
    takes his coffee in his cup, and never in his saucer."
    [The Courier (Middlesex), 21 Mar. 1826.]

A similar action was common among working-class people in Britain
in the nineteenth century and into the twentieth - it was thought
acceptable to pour small quantities of hot tea into your saucer to
cool it and then to sip from the saucer. However, the American joke
implied that saucers in that country were then big enough that the
whole cupful could be saucered at one go; British saucers were too
small for this.

Jenny Drayden reports. "Last Friday, this message appeared on our
intranet: "This weekend will see the replacement of our reception
doors. The doors will remain lock at all times, and you will need
your access card to enter our demise."

On 2 February, The Gloucestershire Echo startled Tim Nott with its
headline, which included a quote from the principal of Cheltenham
Ladies College: "Girls' schools still offering 'something special'
- head".

Padmavyuha received an e-mail from Tate Modern, which announced
that "We've our latest show Watercolour opening at Tate Britain on
16 February. See works spanning 800 years, from Turner to Tracy
Emin!" Might they be J M W Turner (1775-1851) and Tracy Emin
(1963-) or two other artists altogether?

Destined for the folder marked "could have been better expressed"
is this sentence from the Daily Mail of 3 February, sent in by
Julie Wetherell: "Written in 1959 and reprinted this year by
celebrated U.S. fashion designer Anne Fogarty - who died in 1980,
aged 61 - the iconic book, harks back to an era of hats, gloves and
girdles."

Martin Kuskis found an intriguing sentence on the New South Wales
Roads and Traffic Authority website: "Final pavement works for the
southern section of the project will commence in unrest from the
start of 2011." Mr Kuskis was under the impression that the project
was proceeding peacefully.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).