World Wide Words -- 21 Apr 12

Fri Apr 20 16:24:32 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 783           Saturday 21 April 2012
     This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          Settings in your e-mail viewer will determine
               which version you see by default.

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/vpfc.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Quinion.
3. Q and A: At the drop of a hat.
4. Sic!
5. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
TIN PAN ALLEY  Chris Smith, who writes for Blues & Rhythm magazine
in the UK, added to the story by pointing out that the unsavoury
reputation of places so named survives in Tin Pan Alley Blues,
written by Bob Geddins around 1953. Its opening verse is:

    They tell me Tin Pan Alley, roughest place in town,
    Start cutting and shooting, soon as the sun goes down;
    Hey, tell me, what kind of place can that alley be?
    Every woman I get, the alley takes her away from me.

VOTING  A reminder that World Wide Words has been nominated in the
2012 LSOFT Choice Awards (the Mailys). To vote, every day if you
possibly can, go via http://wwwords.org?LSOFT .

2. Weird Words: Quinion  /kqInI at n/
A query from a reader made me take a deep breath and finally admit
that I'm a weird word as well as a person.

We are in the realm of bookbinding, specifically the folding and
stitching of sheets of vellum, parchment or paper into a grouping
called a quire. A set of four sheets was anciently standard, folded
once to make eight leaves or sixteen pages. This was a quaternion.
If instead you folded just one sheet of paper to make two leaves, it
was called a bifolium; two sheets made four leaves and eight pages
and was termed a binion; a ternion was created from three sheets.
All these names came from Latin numbers.

You're ahead of me, I expect. A quinion consisted of five sheets,
folded and gathered. It's from classical Latin "quini", five each.
Another word for it is quinternion and it's possible that "quinion",
which is recorded only from late in the nineteenth century, is a
truncated form of quinternion on the model of binion and ternion.

    Early Irish manuscripts tend to be composed of
    quinions, quires of five sheets of parchment, laid one on
    top of another and folded. This made a gathering of ten
    leaves or twenty pages.
    [Early Christian Ireland, by T M Charles-Edwards,
    2000.]

Incidentally, the ancient standard of four sheets is the source of
"quire", which comes via Old French from the Latin for four. Later,
the link to a specific number of leaves was lost and "quire" could
be any number of sheets; later still it settled on 24 but is now 25,
twenty of which make up a ream of 500 sheets.

[You're going to ask about my family name. It has nothing to do with
bookbinding, but derives from Spanish "Quiñones", originally a word
meaning a type of shared farming tenancy that comes from the Latin
for five. The first member of the English family came over from the
Dutch Republic, formerly the Spanish Netherlands, with William of
Orange at the Glorious Revolution of 1688. The family has spread to
the US, Canada, Australia and elsewhere.]

3. Q and A: At the drop of a hat
Q. A friend recently said her daughter cries "at the drop of a hat".
Any idea where this comes from and what dropping a hat has to do
with anything? [Jim Riley]

A. Many dictionaries merely say that to do something at the drop of
a hat is to do it at once, without any noticeable delay. But your
example illustrates another common meaning - to do something or
other at the slightest provocation.

    Times are changing and a number of new studies point to
    an increasingly bolshie consumer willing to complain at
    the drop of a hat and spend time searching out the best
    value for money.
    [The Irish Times; 20 Mar. 2012. "Bolshie" is rather
    dated slang for somebody who is deliberately combative or
    uncooperative; it derives from "Bolshevik".]

In the days when men wore hats, their head coverings did more than
just keep the sun or rain off - they were handy devices to signal
with. You might have waved your hat in greeting or to demonstrate
enthusiasm, you might have thrown it into the ring to accept the
challenge of a contest, or you might have dropped it as a signal.
This last action is generally taken to be where "at the drop of a
hat" came from. There's little doubt about the matter, despite the
regrettable failure of any early user to put its origin on record
for us. All that's left to do is work out what was being signalled.

It's usually assumed that it indicated a formal fight was to begin.
This is based on its supposedly being from the Wild West of the
nineteenth century, when men were real men and fought each other
incessantly with anything to hand, or with hands alone if not. The
various editions of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable down to
the present day comment that "The expression alludes to the American
frontier practice of dropping a hat as a signal for a fight to
begin, usually the only formality observed."

The evidence suggests that this is no more than guesswork. Some old
examples certainly do mention fighting:

    I found many Old Soldiers, who called themselves
    Democrats, and were ready to fight, at the drop of a hat,
    with any man who had aught to say against Gen. Scott.
    [Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (Wisconsin), 19 Jul.
    1852.]

On the other hand, there are many that don't, including most of the
early ones. The earliest appearance on record that I know about is
some way from the American frontier:

    They could agree in the twinkling of an eye - at the
    drop of a hat - at the crook of a finger - to usurp the
    sovereign power; they cannot agree, in four months, to
    relinquish it.
    [Register of Debates in Congress, 12 Oct. 1837.]

Another early one is at the opposite pole from fighting:

    He fell in love (an excusable weakness!) with every
    pretty face he saw, and would have married, at the drop of
    a hat, any right merry girl that would have been silly
    enough to have had him.
    [Lonz Powers, or, The Regulators, by James Weir,
    1850.]

Brewer also notes that "races are sometimes started by the downward
sweep of a hat". This is at least an equally likely origin. I put in
evidence a newspaper report from the other side of the Atlantic:

    These men, both footmen of the West End, ran 200 yards
    for £10 a side, near the Swiss Cottage, St John's Wood, on
    Monday. ... At the first signal (the drop of a hat) they
    bounded away, Deven leading at a rattling pace.
    [Bell's Life In London, 12 Jan. 1851 6/3]

However, my suggestion may be disregarded by critics for the same
reason that I dislike the fighting origin - lack of explicit
evidence.

The example of 1837 from the US Congress shows that even at this
early date the expression was already idiomatic. Unless earlier
records come to light we may never discover exactly what was in the
minds of the people even further back in time who generated the
idiom. What is certain is that it became a useful metaphor for
immediate action at the slightest stimulus.

CNN's website on 14 April reported allegations against US secret-
service agents in Columbia: "Donovan declined to identify the nature
of the alleged misconduct, saying only the mater was being turned
over to the agency's internal affairs." Would this be America's
equivalent of M, as played by Judi Dench?

Julane Marx found a heart-warming success story on the MSN Real
Estate website about an innovative designer called Charlie Baker:
"His whimsical constructions have gained him attention from high-
profile clients such as Ralph Lauren and Hermes, who asked him to
create widow displays for their Madison Avenue flagship stores."

A misplaced modifier came via Ed Cassidy from the Niagara Gazette of
Niagara Falls on 12 April: "After reportedly stealing a six-pack of
beer from a Niagara Street convenience store on Wednesday morning,
two Falls Narcotics Division detectives managed to collar Crogan
[the alleged bank robber] later in the afternoon."

Over-hasty pruning of a story on WCVBTV's website in Boston led to
this final section of text which Jean Rossner saw in a report of a
murder: "Jenkins' body was found in the Connecticut River on March
26. whose alumni include President Calvin Coolidge."

"You can't trust anyone these days," complained Robert Wake about a
headline in The Independent of Windham, Maine, over a story dated 13
April: "Act tackles child sex abuse from several angels."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, educational resources, newsgroups or mailing
lists provided that you include the copyright notice above and give
the website address. Reproduction of substantial parts of items in
printed publications or built websites requires permission from the
editor beforehand.