World Wide Words -- 28 Jul 12

Fri Jul 27 16:54:13 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 795           Saturday 28 July 2012
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/hlwi.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Concinnity.
3. Wordface.
4. Q and A: Dint.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
TIT FOR TAT  Numerous readers echoed Roger Downham's comment: "There
was I, happily assuming that 'tit for tat' was a corruption of 'this
for that', when you came along and complicated it all!"

ABECEDARIAN  Michael Lean added another layer of complexity to this
word's senses, "There's also the abecedarian insult, which requires
vocabularian talent: 'You alopecian, bombastic, curmudgeonly,
dilatory, egregious, fawning, gluttonous...'. You get the idea. I
can't remember where it cropped up now." He may be thinking of this
modern example:

    ABECEDARIAN INSULT "Sir, you are an apogenous,
    bovaristic, coprolalial, dasypygal, excerebrose,
    facinorous, gnathonic, hircine, ithyphallic, jumentous,
    kyphotic, labrose, mephitic, napiform, oligophrenial,
    papuliferous, quisquilian, rebarbative, saponaceous,
    thersitical, unguinous, ventripotent, wlatsome,
    xylocephalous, yirning zoophyte."
    [The Superior Person's Book of Words, by Peter Bowler,
    1985. He appends an explanation but I leave it as an
    exercise for the reader.]

Teresa Folkes commented, "Aleric Watts, who I had never heard of
otherwise, wrote a poem that I learned in childhood, which began 'An
Austrian army, awfully arrayed' and on to the end of the alphabet.
Not good verse, but very appealing to a child." Aleric Watts, whose
middle name was "Attila", as in the Hun, is usually credited with
the poem but there's some doubt over authorship. The verses were
published in the Literary Gazette of London on 23 December 1820 to
illustrate alliteration rather than abecedarianism, though they are
abecedaric as well. To give you the whole thing might induce
alphabetical surfeit, but this is how it begins and ends:

    An Austrian army, awfully arrayed,
    Boldly by battery besieged Belgrade.
    Cossack commanders cannonading come,
    Dealing destruction's devastating doom.
    Why wish we warfare? Wherefore welcome were
    Xerxes, Ximenes, Xanthus, Xavier?
    Yield, yield, ye youths! ye yeomen, yield your yell!
    Zeus', Zarpater's, Zoroaster's zeal.

2. Weird Words: Concinnity  /k at n'sInItI/
My old dad once advised me never to mix the grape and the grain, a
proverbial dictum which has served me well. The Romans seem not to
have learned the precept, as they had a drink, cinnus, which the
grammarian Hesychius of Alexandria explained was a mixture of wine,
honey, water and either barley or spelt (an ancient type of wheat).
I presume the grain was steeped in the wine to make a sweet
alcoholic soup and not brewed into ale first, though some sources
disagree.

You may hazard a guess as to its effect on the Roman constitution by
one of the other senses of "cinnus" being of a facial distortion or
grimace. The scholar Johannes Scapula wrote in 1790 that it could
also mean "a promiscuous conglomeration of many things of various
kinds" or as Dr Adam Littleton defined it in his Latin Dictionary of
1715, "A mingle-mangle or gallimaufry of several things together; a
hotchpotch or mish-mash, a medley." Contrariwise, Latin evolved from
it the verb "concinnare", to join together skilfully, which suggests
some Romans must have liked the mixture.

When "concinnare" arrived in English in the 1530s, as "concinnity",
it took on only the last of these senses, a harmonious arrangement
or fitting together of the different parts of something or a studied
elegance of literary or artistic style. The word is now rare, though
it may be found lurking in some unexpected places, ready to surprise
the reader:

    The decor was stylish to a point where it transcended
    style and entered the realms of perspicuous harmony,
    shunning grandiloquent ornamentation in favour of a visual
    concinnity, garnered from aesthetic principles, which
    combined the austerity of Bauhaus and ebullience of Burges
    into an eclectic mix before stripping them down to their
    fundamental essentials, to create an effect which was
    almost aphoristic, in that it could be experienced but
    never completely expressed. So there is no need to bother
    with a description. But trust me, it was sheer poetry.
    [Waiting for Godalming, by Robert Rankin, 2000.]

3. Wordface
BOLD AS BRASS  Linda Hull mentioned that a Canadian wordsmith named
Rex Murphy had been asked recently on CBC TV about his favourite
word. He replied "chalcenterous" but wasn't able to say more about
it. Could I enlighten her? It's hardly likely to be encountered by
anybody other than a confirmed browser of really big dictionaries.
Only a handful of appearances are on record since it was introduced
to English in an article in the Times Literary Supplement in 1946.
CHALCENTEROUS literally means "brazen-gutted" or having "bowels of
brass", or in more conventional language "indefatigable". It comes
from Greek "chalkos", either copper or brass, plus "enteron", the
intestines. The word was applied as a nickname to the first-century
Greek grammarian Didymus, who became known as Didymus Chalcenterus
because of his prodigious industry and vast output of books.

4. Q and A: Dint
Q. A search of your site shows four uses of the phrase "by dint of"
but no entry on it. It seems to have become a fixed expression. Is
there a good tale in the history of "dint"? [John Branch]

A. I hope you'll find it so.

"Dint" belongs to another of those sets of words that I wrote about
last week, whose members are linked by shifts in an internal vowel.
In this case, "dint" belongs with "dent" and "dunt".

"Dint" is by far the oldest of the three, being recorded from the
ninth century in Old English. The original meaning was of a blow,
especially one with a weapon during warfare. The other spellings
appeared in Middle English, largely as a result of dialectal or
regional pronunciations; "dunt" was probably in part created by
imitation of the dull sound of such a blow.

"Dint" and "dent" are both still around as alternatives. In more
recent centuries, the main sense of both has been of a depression in
a surface, perhaps one caused by a mishap. This is a natural enough
shift in sense through the word coming to mean the result of a blow
rather than the blow itself.

Another factor was the arrival in English of the verb "indent". This
is a quite separate word, from the Latin verb "dentare", to furnish
with teeth. The first sense of "indent" in English was to make a
serrated tooth-like series of incisions. This led to "indenture",
whose name came from the practice of producing two copies of an
agreement on a single sheet of parchment or paper and separating
them by cutting along a jagged path; this made it obvious that the
two halves were part of a single document (people would talk of "a
pair of indentures").

Under the influence of "indent", the "dint" spelling progressively
lost out to "dent". In addition, the senses of "dent" and "indent"
began to influence each other.

One result has been that the verb "indent" is a doublet, one member
being from the Latin verb, the other from "dent" with the prefix
"in-" attached. Because both involve making changes to the shape of
something, the two verbs have become mixed up in people's minds and
are frequently thought of as different senses of the same verb. This
is especially true of their compound "indentation", which can mean
tooth-shaped notches, recesses (as in a coastline or paragraphs of
prose) and dents (or dints) in a surface.

Back to "by dint of". In medieval times, "dint" came to mean not
just a single blow but an attack or assault. As a result, Englishmen
spoke of overcoming an enemy "by dint of sword", that is, by force
of arms. This eventually led to the phrase "by dint of", meaning "by
force of". Over time this has weakened to mean little more than "by
means of", but it still often has associations with vigour or
perseverance.

    Apprenticed as a gardener, he rose through the ranks by
    dint of hard work, discretion, honesty and yet more hard
    work.
    [Guardian, 26 Mar. 2011.]

These idioms became established long enough ago that they weren't
affected by the shift to the "dent" spelling.

The Risks Digest on computer security of 17 July reported on an
aircraft that had had to circle for hours over Las Vegas to use up
surplus fuel: "Professional opinion also included the possibility
that the passenger nausea was only to be expected in flying a tight
holding pattern over hot dessert for three hours."

"I hope it was worth it!" e-mailed Bob Taxin, who had seen a report
of a court martial in the San Francisco Chronicle of 21 July: "One
of the other instructors charged in the case, Staff Sgt. Peter Vega-
Maldonado, pleaded guilty in June, admitting he had sex with a
female trainee in exchange for a sentence of 90 days' confinement."

"I spotted this little gem on the Canberra, All Homes real estate
website," wrote Pattie Tancred: "The master bedroom has a king size
leather slay bed."

Meg Gagie found a report in the London Free Press of Ontario on 19
July of a crash involving a city bus and an SUV: "Four people were
taken to hospital, including the bus driver, a passenger on the bus
that is six-months pregnant and the driver and passenger of the
Lexus". "Is there anything cuter than a baby bus?", she asks.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the author beforehand.