World Wide Words -- 21 Jul 12

Fri Jul 20 16:13:51 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 794           Saturday 21 July 2012
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/lotw.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Abecedarian.
3. Turns of Phrase: Self-quantifying.
4. Q and A: Tit for tat.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
ACES LOW  Krister Rollins and Jim Hart asked about the expression
"within an ace of ruin" which turned up twice within quotations in
the piece last week on "touch and go". "Ruin" doesn't seem to fit
with "ace" because we often think of the latter as meaning highly
skilled or exceptional (tennis players scoring aces, fighter pilot
aces and so on). However, the word derives from the Latin "as" for a
single thing or unit, hence the playing card, which nominally has a
value of one (the shift in most games to its being the most valuable
card led to "ace" taking on its mantle of excellence). In a separate
development, the low value of "ace" led for a while to associations
with the smallest possible amount or a tiny portion, and hence to
worthlessness or misfortune; there may perhaps have been a nod to
"as" also being a Roman copper coin of small value. "Within an ace
of" meant "within a hair's breadth" with connotations of disaster
only just averted.

DOUBLED DUTCH  Following the notes here last week about expressions
that include the word "Dutch", Bart Wijnberg told me about Total
Dutch, a book by Ton Spruijt subtitled "Meer dan duizend woorden en
uitdrukkingen met Dutch vertaald, verklaard en toegelicht", which he
translated as "More than a thousand words and expressions containing
the word Dutch translated, explained and elucidated". We're a long
way from that total, but readers have provided more examples. Jary
Stavely wrote, "When I was a child in the US, one way to physically
torment a smaller person was to give him a 'dutch rub'. To do this,
you wrapped one arm around his neck and then forcefully rubbed your
knuckles over the top of his head." Several readers told me that
"Dutch wife" is now slang for a sex doll. "Dutch door" was mentioned
by Mary Louise Lyman (I'd call it a stable door). And "Dutchman" has
other repair senses than in wood or stone: one reader mentioned that
it can be a partial repair of the sole of a shoe while Carl Bowers
and Megan Zurawicz explained that the canvas strips used to cover
the joins between scenery flats in theatres have the same name and
that putting them on is "dutchmanning". Gilda Blackmore e-mailed,
"It just occurred to me that no one has mentioned 'double Dutch
skipping'. I've no idea why it's called that. It was very popular
when I was a child many years ago. I understand it has made a
comeback."

Richard Bos commented that one of the set last week, the Dutch angle
in film, isn't actually Dutch: "I was surprised by this when I first
came across it (there aren't many good Dutch contributions to the
world of cinema), so I looked it up, and found that it's nothing to
do with us. It's another 'Deutsch' misappellation, and was called so
because it was first developed in German Expressionist films." I've
since learned that it's also sometimes known as "canted camera".

And finally, I am told that in Dutch, an American party ("Amerikaans
feestje") is one in which everyone is expected to bring their own
food and drink. While Americans go Dutch, the Dutch go American.

[I'm grateful to Harry Lake and Richard Bos for helping me with the
various Dutch terms. Enough "Dutch" for now, thanks.]

THEIR THEIR  Numerous readers criticised my use of "their" last week
in "a person who is formally defending their doctoral thesis in
public". As a unisex possessive determiner, "their" is now widely
accepted in all but the most formal circumstances and avoids clunky
formulations such as "his or her".

2. Weird Words: Abecedarian  /,eIbi:si:'de:rI at an/
The strangest aspect of this unusual word is the way it's said. It
looks as though it ought to be /@,bes@'de:rI at n/ (roughly "a-bes-a-
DAIR-ee-un") but it's actually pronounced as though the first part
is an abbreviation: "ay-bee-see-DAIR-ee-un". That explains why it
has at times been written "abcedarian". The source is the post-
classical Latin of the fifth century AD - it appears first in the
works of St Augustine. English imported the word from French in the
1500s.

An early sense was of a person who taught or learned the alphabet.
From the latter sense, it also came to mean more generally a novice
or beginner. Paradoxically, it was also a member of a sixteenth-
century German sect which opposed all forms of learning, including
knowledge of the alphabet. It can be a primer for teaching reading
and spelling and more loosely any listing in alphabetical order.

    Naming your firm Acme was once an easy way to get
    placed at the top of the telephone listings, though more
    adept abecedarians - like AAA Cesspool & Rooter Service -
    have trumped that positioning.
    [Long Island Business News, 21 Dec 2007.]

We may also come across it in reference to a poem in which the first
letters of each verse or line are in alphabetical order, a special
class of acrostic. Some early instances were hymns or psalms: the
Hebrew original of Psalm 119 is abecedarian; around 1375 Chaucer
translated a French prayer so that verses began with the letters of
the alphabet in order (missing J, U and W, not then used).

3. Turns of Phrase: Self-quantifying
The wired world of electronics and the net is beginning to affect us
in ways that would have been regarded as SF only a few years ago. A
rapidly developing area is variously called self-quantifying, self-
tracking, body-hacking or life-logging.

The idea behind it is to record data from your everyday activities
and use it to improve your life by changing your behaviour. Athletes
have long been familiar with tracking variables such as the foods
they eat, how much they sleep, the content of training sessions and
other matters to help them achieve peak fitness. The difference
today is that the widespread availability of smartphones with
features like accelerometers and GPS plus a big variety of apps
means that everybody can join in.

People are monitoring their sleep rhythms to learn what combination
of food and exercise gives them a really good night's sleep. Others
are continually checking life signs to control medical conditions,
including asthma and Parkinson's disease. Some are going further,
sharing their data with groups of users to provide mutual support;
these databases are becoming useful for researchers who are looking
to identify behavioural factors that affect people's health.

    Self-quantifying is being taken seriously by start-ups,
    in Silicon Valley and elsewhere, which are launching new
    devices and software aimed at self-trackers. It may even
    provide a glimpse of the future of health care, in which a
    greater emphasis is placed on monitoring, using a variety
    of gizmos, to prevent disease, prolong lives and reduce
    medical costs.
    [The Economist, 3 Mar. 2012.]

    With "life-loggers" and "quantified-selfers" now
    tracking all aspects of their own lives online, Little
    expects that freely available data of potential use to
    healthcare will become increasingly available.
    [New Scientist, 7 Jul. 2012.]

4. Q and A: Tit for tat
Q. Where did "tit for tat" come from? [Peter Rugg]

A. It's the littlest words that often give us the most trouble in
sorting out their origins. They're likely to be the ones that have
proved to be the most mutable in the spoken language. This curious
phrase is a classic example.

In the sixteenth century, it was "tip for tat". Another form, used
by Shakespeare and almost certainly from fencing, was "tap for tap",
which makes plain the underlying idea of a reprisal or retaliation
that's roughly proportionate to its cause.

"Tat" in "tit for tat" isn't a distinct word at all but an instance
of a type of reduplication in which the internal vowel changes from
"i" to "a", as in "chit-chat", "flimflam" and "knick-knack". "Tip"
here is the same as "tap", a light blow. "Tit" is not in the mammary
sense but comes from an old verb that likewise could mean to strike
a light blow.

All these words have an idea of smallness about them: a "tit" can
also be a small bird (originally "titmouse" but it was the "tit"
part that communicated small size, since "mouse" isn't the rodent
but a version of "mose", an Old English name for the same bird); at
one time "tit" could be a small or part-grown horse or a girl or
young woman. "Tip" can also be an extremity or small point. The
ultimate origins of most of these are uncertain but some may be
imitative.

I am suspicious of two common statements about the origin of the
phrase which appear in some reference works. It has been suggested
that it's related to the French "tant pour tant", which chefs will
know as a mixture of equal parts of fine sugar and ground almonds.
It seems to have once meant "like for like" and is ancient enough
that a bashed-about version is in Love's Labour's Lost: "So
pertaunt-like would I o'ersway his state". But if it was ever common
it is improbable as the source of "tit for tat", as the links to the
other short English words I've listed are too strong. Most works
that mention that source also suggest that it could be from a Dutch
phrase, "dit vor dat", in the same sense, though my Dutch contacts
say it doesn't exist in the language today nor in old texts. I
suspect uncritical borrowing of erroneous material from earlier
sources, the curse of third-rate reference books.

Jenn winced on reading a Scientific American blog dated 13 July:
"Previous work at the Paisley Caves had turned up preserved human
feces (coprolites) containing DNA and some stone projectile points."

Jenny Brown read this review on the Trip Advisor website on 18 June:
"It was the first time away for my boyfriend and me and we picked
the right place! The only complaint that I have is that the mistress
in our room was old & uncomfortable." And wearing a Freudian slip.

A health report of 18 July on the BBC site about the risks of not
taking physical exercise was spotted by Martin Wynne: "The public
needed to be warned about the dangers of inactivity rather than just
reminded of the benefits of it."

Len Levine found this unfortunate sentence in the Personal Tech blog
of The New York Times of 12 July: "Crossword puzzle apps allow you
download a puzzles from all over the world, correct mistakes without
using an eraser and check your answers."

I was browsing the Dell site on Wednesday and found this: "With a
Core(tm) i3 processor, discreet graphics and large hard drive this PC
is a talented all rounder". Designed for porn watchers?

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the author beforehand.