World Wide Words -- 31 Aug 13

Thu Aug 29 22:02:00 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 847          Saturday 31 August 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/uucw.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
WHIFFLERS AND WHIFFLING  Following last week's piece, readers noted
some of the many situations in which these agreeable words appeared.
Several pointed out that I'd not mentioned perhaps the most famous
use of the word in literature, in Lewis Carroll's poem from Through
the Looking Glass, in which you may recall that

    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

Lots of others mentioned the game of Whiffle Ball, likely named for
the noise of the air passing through the holes in the ball. Others
noted its appearance in Dorothy L Sayers's detective story Murder
Must Advertise of 1933, in which Lord Peter Wimsey, posing as Death
Bredon, becomes deeply involved in the advertising campaign for a
brand of cigarettes called Whifflets, which must surely be a sly
reference by Sayers to an old sense of "whiffler" for a smoker of
tobacco:

    It was in that moment, and while Chief-Inspector Parker
    was arguing over the line with the office telephonist,
    that Mr. Death Bredon conceived that magnificent idea that
    everybody remembers and talks about today - the scheme
    that achieved renown as "Whiffling Round Britain" - the
    scheme that sent up the sales of Whifflets by five hundred
    per cent in three months and brought so much prosperity to
    British Hotel-keepers and Road and Rail Transport.

Also in detective fiction, Bruce Beatie and Ed Matthews tell us that
a more directly relevant mention is in Ngaio Marsh's Off With His
Head (Death of a Fool in the US), in which one of the characters is
the whiffler in a traditional Morris dance, who clears a space for
the performance:

    Through the archway came a blackamoor with a sword. He
    had bells on his legs and wore white trousers with a kind
    of kilt over them. His face was perfectly black and a dark
    cap was on his head. He leapt and pranced and jingled,
    making complete turns as he did so and "whiffling" his
    sword so that it sang in the cold air.

Bill Marsano was one of many who pointed out that whiffling-
waffling, as it was described in the piece, "thrives in the U.S.
under the name of 'baton-twirling', which is almost exclusively the
province of pretty and lightly-clad young women who typically
perform at parades, football games, etc. In the southern US it is a
very competitive activity, not to say sport."

Yet another American usage was reported by Jim Tang: "This explains
that most anachronistic of baseball terms, 'he whiffed'. Bad enough
that you missed the ball three times to strike out, but to have it
equated with a term for a light puff of air from your swings? That
is just piling it on. Which, of course, is the point, because the
insult game was invented by baseball."

CRACK SHOT  This, likewise, produced many comments, especially about
other senses of the word, such as "get cracking", to get a move on,
and "to take a crack at", to attempt something. The latter seems,
from evidence in the Oxford English Dictionary, to have evolved from
musketry (being the noise of the gun) and to parallel "take a shot
at". A "wisecrack" is from the Scots sense of talk or discussion, as
is "crack" for a cutting or insulting remark.

John Nightingale introduced me to the odd US term "crack varnish"
for the "very fastest and best passenger train". The second part of
this term baffled me until I learned from the Dictionary of American
Regional English that from the 1880s "varnished car" was a slightly
sarcastic railwaymen's slang term for a passenger vehicle, as such
accommodation at the time contained much highly varnished wood, in
contrast to utilitarian freight and staff wagons. Over time this
became abbreviated to "varnish" for the car and then for the whole
train. A "crack varnish", of course, was the very best of its type.

2. Cantrev
This word popped up in a book of short stories I've just finished
reading:

    So, the land there is thickly forested to the north and
    the forest grows even more thickly and densely to the
    south. This southern cantrev of forest is so very dense,
    indeed, that there is no other place in the world with
    trees of such height or magnificence or profusion.
    [Adam Robots, by Adam Roberts, 2013.]

A cantrev - the word has been spelled in numerous ways, including
"cantref" and "canthrif" - turns out upon enquiry to have been a
medieval legal division of Wales (from the Welsh "cant", a hundred,
plus "tref", a town or place). It's closely similar in sense to the
English hundred, a division of a county or shire for administrative
purposes. In fact, in medieval England yet another form of the word,
"cantred", was used almost synonymously with "hundred".

The word has long had only historical interest. But it has enjoyed a
minor revival in SF and fantasy - as in Lloyd Alexander's Prydain
Chronicles - as an unfamiliar term with which to communicate a sense
of otherness. The revival is most probably due to modern interest in
the medieval Welsh epic The Mabinogion, in which "cantrev" often
appears.

3. Not a happy bunny
Q. Why did "not a happy bunny" come into existence?  Surely bunnies
are largely devoid of facial expression, so determining their state
of happiness or otherwise is not readily possible. Online searches
seem to say nothing about the origin of the phrase. [John Gray]

A. People have been writing about this in a mildly puzzled way at
least since John Mullan included it as his Phrase of the Week in The
Guardian during November 2002, saying it was "now everywhere" and
that "It started being common four or five years ago, especially as
an understated description of a person's displeasure."

The earliest example that I know of appeared in Punch magazine in
November 1989 and I would have said that it had already peaked in
popularity by 2002. However, a British newspaper archive shows that
it has been used even more in the past two or three years. It long
ago became a catchphrase and a cliché, mostly in Britain. It has
also spawned its inverse, though it is still much less common to
learn that somebody is a happy bunny than an unhappy one.

There's a good reason for nobody online being able to say anything
useful about its antecedents - no expert seems to have the slightest
idea about its origin and most writers on contemporary slang have
ignored it. Nigel Rees, presenter of the BBC radio quiz programme
"Quote ... Unquote", has for many years included it as question 1368
in his list of unsolved phrase origins. This shows no signs of being
resolved any time soon.

It may be a disparaging comment drawn from children's literature, in
which fluffy bunny rabbits are usually happily hopping about. To
refer to a person's distress as saying he isn't a happy bunny is to
infantilise his emotions. However, people sometimes use it about
themselves, when it becomes self-deprecating. There may be a link to
British television advertisements for the Duracell Bunny (matched in
the US by ones for the Energizer Bunny). This is a pink rabbit,
always with a fixed grin and originally endlessly beating a drum.
The adverts have been around for some decades (they began in 1973),
so it's not an implausible origin.

Other than that, all I've been able to do is add another mystified
comment to the many that precede me. Add an appropriate bunny-
related punchline if you like. I'm running out of energy.

"Taking inclusive language a bit too far," commented John Martin on
an item in The Guardian on 23 August, which quoted the TechCrunch
website on the retirement of Microsoft's CEO, Steve Ballmer: "If his
or her successor doesn't like the 'One Microsoft' vision, he'll have
to do another reorganization." TechCrunch has corrected its version.

Tereza Shortall headed her contribution "Every woman's nightmare!"
having read this advertising blurb on the Harrods website: "Tailored
in beautiful virgin wool, these trousers from Alexander McQueen will
instantly become the most exquisite staple in your all-rear-round
wardrobe."

Staying with Harrods, Pat Beattie was in the famous Knightsbridge
store and spotted that the floor directory, expensively inscribed on
a marble wall, included the entry, "Lower Ground, Menswear, Fashion
Accessories, Gifts and Stationary."

In the New York Daily News of 18 August, Tanya Thomas found a report
describing the trial of Jodi Arias for killing her boyfriend, Travis
Alexander: "Arias claimed intruders broke into the house and gave
interviews to 'Inside Edition' and '48 Hours Mystery'."

Tony Willett found this in a list of spa treatments in the brochure
of The Academy at the City of Bath College: "Relax in our sauna and
steam room, distress in our hot tub and drift away in our dry
flotation bed."

5. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.