World Wide Words -- 24 Aug 13

Fri Aug 23 15:53:07 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 846          Saturday 24 August 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/bkbn.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
PARCEL  "If you are in the habit of reading antiques catalogues,"
Anthea Fleming wrote, "you may come across the term 'parcel-gilt' in
descriptions of silver items. It means partly gilded, as in a silver
figure wearing gilded drapery, or a silver cup gilded inside. I
don't know why this expression is used." I can help there: it comes
from an ancient adverbial sense of "parcel", in the sense of "part,
partly, partially; to some degree, to some extent". It's recorded
from the fifteenth century, "parcel-gilt" itself from 1453.

LEMNISCATE  Several subscribers, either in puzzlement or devilry,
queried my instructions about cutting the doughnut. For example,
Gareth Williams: "If you lay a doughnut on the board, put the knife
vertical against the inside edge of the hole and cut downward ..
nothing happens because the point of the blade is now stuck in the
chopping board." It would have been better if I had written, "Take a
sharp knife and hold the blade so that its edge is exactly above the
inside edge of the doughnut. Cut vertically downwards ..." I am
reminded of my university physics professor, a Shakespeare scholar
who always prefaced his notes on practical sessions with "Bloody
instructions, which being taught return to plague the inventor."
Kathleen Dillon registered a complaint: "You are responsible for my
having to buy a new bathing suit. I tried to follow your
instructions about cutting a doughnut and ruined half a dozen of
them, which I had to eat before they became stale."

AGOG AGAIN  From Peter Armstrong: "I sometimes wish that we English
speakers and writers had the use of an accent or other diacritical
mark. This morning I was reading your update on 'agog' and wondered
why your correspondent was saying 'it's happening by way of agape'.
How in the world does agog's meaning get influenced by the word used
to express theological love? Ah, my kingdom for an accent." The two
are indeed among the more remarkable homographs in the language: one
from Old Norse, the other from classical Greek.

NOT CRICKET?  Several readers essayed a translation of the cricket
item in the Sic! section two weeks ago, which I mentioned here last
week. You may recall that the original read, "On three occasions,
thick inside edges avoided the stumps and raced to the fence, while
a brace of airy heaves into the leg side somehow dissected the
outfielders." This is from Bruce Laidlaw: "The batsman mishit the
ball three times (the ball in each case clipping the edge of the
bat) yet still scored four runs each time as the ball went behind
him all the way to the boundary; the batsman twice hit the ball hard
upwards and to the left, the ball falling between fielders so none
could catch or stop it. The implication is that the batsman was
lucky, scoring twenty runs by hitting the ball five times to the
boundary from bad shots." Cricket-savvy readers have suggested that
"dissect" has taken on a specific meaning; Ricki Barnes explained,
"It refers to a ball being hit into the air such that it ends up
between a number of fielding positions. Strictly it should refer to
more than two fielders. With two, you may instead hear the phrase
'bisecting the field'." "Dissect" presumably came about as an error
for "bisect" but has become accepted as what H W Fowler called a
sturdy indefensible, since to literally dissect outfielders
certainly wouldn't be cricket! We may now consider this subject
closed.

2. Whiffler
Students of Shakespeare will know of whifflers from Henry V:

    The deep-mouth'd Sea,
    Which like a mighty Whiffler 'fore the King,
    Seems to prepare his way.

Whifflers went in front of a procession to clear spectators from its
path. In early times, they would have been men-at-arms, wielding
their customary weapons such as javelins or swords to keep back the
mob. By the time of Shakespeare, they had taken on a formalised role
and by the next century had degenerated into being merely part of
the ritual of events such as civic parades. They survived until the
middle of the nineteenth century in the procession of the London
craft guilds to the Guildhall banquet on Lord Mayor's Day, in which
young freemen called bachelor whifflers carried flags to lead each
guild. They lived on to about the same date in Norwich:

    In that of the Corporation of Norwich from the Guild-
    hall to the Cathedral Church, on the Guild-day, the
    whifflers are two active men very lightly equipped ...
    bearing swords of lath or latten, which they keep in
    perpetual motion, "whiffing" the air on either side, and
    now and then giving an unlucky boy a slap on the shoulders
    or posteriors with the flat side of their weapons.
    [The Vocabulary of East Anglia, by Robert Forby,
    1830.]

In an entry written a century ago, the Oxford English Dictionary
finds the word's origin in the Old English "wifle" for a spear or
battleaxe. But as "whiffle" also referred to the wind when it blew
in puffs or slight gusts, or veered or shifted about (it became a
figurative way to describe a shifty or evasive person), it would be
as reasonable to assume that it referred to the continual waving of
their weapons to encourage hangers-on to stand back. Whifflers in
action would certainly have raised a constant whiffle of wind, as
Robert Forby implied with his use of "whiff", to blow lightly (this
last word is also the source of the word in the sense of a brief or
faint smell, as in "a whiff of perfume").

At the beginning of the twentieth century, Thomas Ratcliffe, a
contributor to Notes and Queries, recalled this variation:

    The art of the whiffler-waffler is still known, though
    I have not seen the practice for a number of years.
    Whiffling-waffling was common when I was a boy, and many
    boys could give very creditable exhibitions of the art.
    ... Some men were great experts, making the stick twirl in
    the hands round and about all parts of the body round the
    head, behind the back, under the thigh, the whiffling-
    waffling being done as easily with the left as with the
    right hand. When the exhibition was put of doors the stick
    was sent whirling high, the performer dancing round a
    considerable circle before catching it at the right moment
    of its descent.

We are irresistibly reminded of a drum-major with his mace leading a
band in a parade. There certainly seemed to be a skill to whiffling,
to judge from George Borrow, who lamented in The Romany Rye in 1857,
"The last of the whifflers hanged himself about a fortnight ago ...
from pure grief that there was no further demand for the exhibition
of his art, there being no demand for whiffling since the
discontinuance of Guildhall banquets." The modern drum-major may not
have his genesis in the ancient passage-clearing art of the
whiffler, but parallels persist.

3. Crack shot
Q. Where did the term "crack shot" originate? [Mark Brown, US]

A. The short answer to your question is England, but I suspect that
may leave you feeling a bit short-changed. Fortunately I can supply
some more on the whys, hows and whens of the term as well as the
wheres.

The obvious first guess is that it's an imitative word for the noise
made by a pistol or rifle. Unlike most first guesses in etymology
that's not entirely wrong, but it's not the whole story.

Around 1500, "crack" is recorded as a Scots term for loud boasts or
brags, which in the following century became much more widely known
in England. After it spread south it started to mean the subject of
a person's boast, something that was claimed to be first-class or
excellent. This might be a preeminent flock of sheep, the best room
in a hotel or a person who was a superbly accurate shot. This last
sense appeared at the very beginning of the nineteenth century in a
long-forgotten comic playlet that featured a duel:

    That's my friend - you subpoenaed him to attend. I'm
    dashing Bob, his second, - a crack shot and a crack whip.
    Take your ground, Colonel.
    [Modern Sharpers, by an unknown author, in Flowers of
    Literature For 1804, London, 1805.]

However, the term is presumably older in speech. It was taken to the
New World by colonists and is first recorded there in the 1820s.

What makes the word particularly relevant to pistols at dawn is that
the boasting sense of "crack" derives from Old English "cracian", to
make a sudden sharp noise. It is indeed the same word as the one for
the noise a gun might make. It's also where we get "cracking" from,
in the sense of something very impressive or effective ("it was a
cracking good film").

Incidentally, you may see similarities between the boasting sense of
"crack" and the Irish term for enjoyable conversation, news, gossip
and general fun. You would be right, as they're the same word. But
"crack" first took on this sense in the eighteenth century in Scots.
It appeared in Ireland only in the 1950s, having been taken from
Scotland into Ulster. The Irish Gaelicised it into "craic", said the
same way. This was reborrowed into English in the 1970s, latterly
for commercial reasons linked to the growth of Irish pubs and bars.

Seen by John Peck in the Marks and Spencer store in Haverfordwest,
Pembrokeshire, a set of four "serial bowls". He suggests the great
advantage is that one only has to do the washing up every fourth
day.

Neil Hesketh urged, "Don't mess with US Navy women." He had spotted
a report on NBC News about NASA and the Navy practicing retrieval of
splashed-down spacecraft: "Unlike in past recovery efforts, the Navy
doesn't plan to use helicopters to retrieve Orion. Instead, a wench
will pull the spacecraft into the Arlington's well deck."

On 5 August, Pattie Tancred tells us, the Economist reported on the
burger made from laboratory-grown meat: "After sizzling in a pan for
a few minutes under the watchful eye of a British chef, two pre-
selected tasters, a nutritional scientist and a food writer, dug
in."

5. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.