World Wide Words -- 16 Mar 13

Fri Mar 15 15:58:13 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 823          Saturday 16 March 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/osto.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
BETWIXT  Following my piece on this word last week, several readers
asked about "twixt". Randall Bart recalled the one-time slogan of
the Yorkshire Post, "Twixt Trent and Tweed", in reference to the
rivers that border its circulation area. Grammarians call this an
aphetic form, in which an unstressed syllable at the beginning of a
word has been lost. "Twixt" was often written with an initial
apostrophe to indicate this.

TAFFY  Other readers followed up my item on "toffee-nosed" two weeks
ago that mentions this word by asking about the nickname "Taffy" for
a Welsh person, which notoriously appears in the old nonsense rhyme
that begins "Taffy was a Welshman / Taffy was a thief". It has no
connection with the toffee sense, being supposedly from the Welsh
pronunciation of the common personal name "David" ("Dafydd" in
Welsh, said rather like "davith").

SITTING BODKIN  As an addition to the original story I have since
found this further definition for "bodkin":

    Amongst sporting men, applied to a person who takes his
    turn between the sheets on alternate nights, when the
    hotel has twice as many visitors as it can comfortably
    lodge; as, for instance, during a race-week.
    [The Slang Dictionary, by John Camden Hotten, 1869.]

What, if anything, this has to do with "sitting bodkin" escapes me!

BOONTLING  Despite my assertion in the last issue, there is no such
place as Anderson County, Northern California. It's Anderson Valley
in Mendocino County. And it was incorrect to describe Boontling as a
dialect, though this was the term Time magazine used. It's actually
a private vocabulary, a jargon or cant.

FOREFRONT  In the last issue I wrote "at the forefront", a form that
Warren Montgomery queried, since he felt it was correctly "in the
forefront". It's worth mentioning as an example of a recent change
in prepositional usage that has gone largely unnoticed. In works of
the nineteenth century and before, the "at" version was rare. The
Google Ngram viewer, based on an analysis of Google Books, suggests
it has greatly risen in popularity since the 1960s and overtook the
"in" form around 1995 (I've included the Ngram graph in the online
version of this issue). Current newspaper databases suggest that the
shift is much greater even than this, with the "at" form more than
five times as common as the "in" one. The original idea was of being
in the front ranks of an army rather than being at a specific place,
and it's the loss of the specific military image and the conversion
of the phrase into an idiom that has led to the shift.

SIC ITEM  Numerous readers commented on my inclusion of the second
Sic! item last week, "Baby born after crash kills parents". The
usual response was puzzlement, those readers only having read it as
the intended "(baby born after) crash kills parents" and failing to
spot the alternate reading "(baby born after crash) kills parents".
I included it as an example of a type of syntactic ambiguity which
linguists have taken to calling (perhaps all too appositely in this
case) a crash blossom. The name was coined following a headline in
the newspaper Japan Today in 2009, "Violinist linked to JAL crash
blossoms". Three readers found its inclusion to be in bad taste. If
I had had known more about the circumstances, I might well have
avoided including it.

2. Swanning around
Q. Reading about "peacocking" as a descriptor of promenading brought
to mind the English "swanning around", which as an American I found
highly amusing when I first heard it (we don't, or haven't, used
it). How and why did the English pick up on swans, rather than
peacocks, for this showy form of ambulatory display? [Dvora Yanow]

A. We Brits are thoroughly conversant with peacocks and find them to
be an excellent analogy for ostentation. If we say that somebody is
swanning around we may indeed be implying that they're doing it to
impress, but the key idea we're trying to express is that they're
being irresponsible or carefree, doing exactly as they like. Envy or
disapproval often lies at the back of it - they're a useless drone,
the thought goes, and wouldn't it be nice to be like that?

    But the main point of buying one of these things [bus
    passes] is to get to school and back, not to swan about
    the further reaches of the West Country.
    [The Bath Chronicle, 11 Oct. 2012]

    Where do they get their money from, I want to know?
    Swanning about big cities with champagne lifestyles but
    never struggling.
    [The Herald (Glasgow), 17 Nov. 2012.]

The early examples are from the end of the nineteenth century and
simply refer to swimming like a swan. Since swans glide through the
water without any apparent effort, seemingly aimless and laid-back,
the idiom "swan about" came to mean ambling about without a care in
the world or travelling idly or purely for pleasure.

Curiously, the evidence suggests this was initially military slang
of the Second World War. The Oxford English Dictionary has this
rather opaque example, which I think refers to the German Field
Marshal Erwin Rommel in North Africa, but can't get access to the
original story to confirm it:

    Breaking up his armour [armoured vehicles] into
    comparatively small groups of ... tanks, he began
    "swanning about", feeling north, north-west and east for
    them [ie, British tanks].
    [Daily Telegraph, 3 Sep. 1942.]

The idea of movement has become less significant as the idiom has
wandered away from its avian roots:

    There are kayaks for hire (from $15), or if that's too
    strenuous you can take a yoga class, swan about in a
    hammock, strum a guitar or drip in the sauna.
    [New Zealand, by Charles Rawlings-Way, 2010.]

3. Landing
Q. I recently heard on BBC Radio 2 that "landing" came from the days
when people were transported in carriages and then carried up the
stairs and deposited on the landing in the house. I have my doubts.
Could you help? [Nick Redmond]

A. You are wise to doubt this. Either the speaker had his tongue
firmly - though necessarily figuratively - in his cheek or he was
making a wild guess.

This isn't to say it never happened. Sick or disabled individuals
must have been carried up and down stairs but it could hardly have
been commonplace. I suspect there's a confused memory here of ladies
in previous centuries being carried from their carriages to the door
to save their shoes and clothes from the mud and muck of the street.

"Landing" started out in the seventeenth century as the obvious word
to use for a place where one alights from a boat - where one comes
to land. It was applied for the first time to the action of bringing
an aerial vehicle to ground when the Italian balloonist Vincenzo
Lunardi made a famous ascent from the Honourable Artillery Company's
Artillery Ground in London on 15 September 1784. He wrote that year
in his Account of the First Aërial Voyage in England, "My principal
care was to avoid a violent concussion at landing."

Coincidentally, or even perhaps not, the Oxford English Dictionary
has its first example of the word in your sense in an architectural
treatise published the year after. It's an extension of the same
idea. Having ascended the stairs, the landing is where you "come to
ground" and perhaps may rest before attempting the next flight.

5. Solutionism
This word is in the news because Evgeny Morozov uses it in a deeply
derogatory sense in his polemical book, To Save Everything, Click
Here, which was published in Britain this week.

By "solutionism", he means the mistaken belief that technology can
benignly and efficiently solve all our problems and produce a world
that is trouble-free. The temptation, he says, is to assume that a
easy technological solution exists for all problems - from crime to
corruption to pollution to obesity - which can be eliminated by
digitally measuring, tracking and correcting our everyday behaviour.
He argues that digital engineers, however expert in their fields,
lack the skills to address issues with ethical, philosophical and
human implications that derive from our natural states of being.

Two recent examples from discussions about the book:

    It's a book littered with -isms and -ists, pejoratives
    and insults: "solutionism", "epochalism",
    "Internetcentrists", "technoescapism", "technonaivety"
    (they're all bad things). Everyone who disagrees with
    Morozov is blind or stupid or corrupt.
    [Daily Telegraph, 9 Mar. 2013.]

    Morozov says people like Zuckerberg and Bell espouse
    Silicon Valley philosophies that are pervasive but
    shallow. Bell's desire to catalogue everything, for
    example, is an example of "solutionism": the relentless
    drive to fix and to optimise; to take problems - in this
    case an imperfect biological memory - and propose
    solutions.
    [New Scientist, 23 Feb. 2013.]

The term isn't new - its relative "solutionist" is recorded from
1885 and came to mean a solver of crossword puzzles. "Solutionism"
was used during the Troubles in Northern Ireland as a derogatory
term for those people, also called "solutionists", who urged facile
solutions which ignored the complex human problems of the Province.
The earliest example of "solutionism" that I've so far found is in
The Soldier and the State by Samuel P Huntington, published in 1957.
Two years later Edward Hodnett commented in The Art of Working With
People: "Beware of 'solutionism' - the flabby optimism that there is
a simple answer and that it will yield to the magic of a
personality, brainstorming, sitting down and talking things over, or
other tribal nostrums." In the way Morozov uses it, it can be traced
back at least to this:

    The rejection of politics among intellectuals often
    takes the subtler form of what I call technocratic
    solutionism. Experts who practice solutionism insist that
    problems have technical solutions even if they are the
    result of conflicts about ideas, values and interests.
    [Engines of Culture, by D M Fox, 1963.]

In the US, "solutionism" is a registered trademark of The Dow
Chemical Company, which employs it in the baffling advertising
slogan "Solutionism: the new optimism".

William C Popik submitted a headline from the Hartford Courant of 8
March: "Middletown Man Hides Crack In His Buttocks". Don't be shy,
we all have one ...

Evelyn DeLuna was intrigued to learn from a website about ulcerative
colitis that "Yogurt was thought to be the reason for the extra long
life-span of Bulgarian pheasants."

Leon Hides points us to a link in a search result on the Australian
PhysioAdvisor website: "PhysioAdvisor provides a lower back pain
diagnosis guide for patients suffering from back injury created by
experienced physiotherapists."

On the Etsy website, Wilson Gray found the heading "Leonard Cohen
Felt Finger Puppet". Not a news story but an item for sale.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.