World Wide Words -- 02 Aug 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Jul 31 22:02:00 UTC 2014

World Wide Words
Issue 889: Saturday 2 August 2014

This mailing also contains a formatted version of the text.
This issue is also available online (http://wwwords.org/lglo).

Feedback, Notes and Comments
PLEASANT GALES.  Following up the comment last week by Pat Spaeth
about a poem with the line "A pleasant gale is on our lee", arguing
that there can be no such thing as a pleasant gale at sea, readers
pointed out that the meaning of "gale" hasn't always been the same as
our modern one. The Oxford English Dictionary notes Dr Johnson's
definition, "a wind not tempestuous, but stronger than a breeze", and
records that in poetical language it could mean a gentle breeze.
Several readers mentioned a well-known example in Alexander Pope's
poem "Summer": "Where-e'er you walk, cool gales shall fan the glade".
The OED also has several early examples in seafaring contexts of
"pleasant gale". In An Accidence, a book for young seamen of 1626,
John Smith gave a set of names for winds of increasing strength: "A
calme, a brese, a fresh gayle, a pleasant gayle, a stiffe gayle".
John Robertson's The Elements of Navigation of 1772 asserted that "A
common brisk gale is about 15 miles an hour." On the Beaufort scale, a
moderate gale (force 7) is at least twice that speed and a whole gale
(force 10) averages about 60 mph, which seems to confirm that a "gale"
now blows more fiercely than it used to.

BLOOPER.  As expected, readers corrected my knowledge of baseball.
Professor Laurence Horn emailed from Yale: "Not to rub it in, but your
modesty about your baseball expertise is, I fear, as well-deserved as
it is becoming. A blooper (aka "Texas leaguer") is not an embarrassing
error for the fielders, or at least not necessarily." Richard
Hershberger explained, "It is a poorly hit weak fly ball that
ordinarily would be easily caught, but through luck lands where no
fielder can reach it. The embarrassment is to the batter, as nobody
makes such a hit on purpose.  The embarrassment is, however,
considerably lessened by getting on base safely."

Jeremy Shaw and Roger Johnson asked about the closely similar but
independently created "bloomer", known in Britain and Australia,
though now rather dated. The evidence suggests that it appeared in
Australia in the late nineteenth century as a contraction of "blooming
error", where "blooming" is a much older euphemism for "bloody". Its
earliest record is in the Dictionary of Slang, Jargon and Cant by
Albert Barrère and Charles Godfrey Leland, published in Edinburgh in
1889. They say that it began as Australian prison slang.

VÉRAISON.  I made a minor blooper or bloomer myself last week by
suggesting that the creation of "véraison" was influenced by "raisin",
grape. Readers told me that it is indeed derived from the obsolete
French verb "vérir", as I explained, but by adding the agent suffix "-
aison". Any similarity to "raisin" is accidental.

Epilimnion
Have you ever swum in the warm water of a lake in summer and found
when treading water that your feet suddenly became uncomfortably cold?
If so, you experienced something that "limnologists", experts on
lakes, describe by the rather splendid and poetic-sounding pair
"epilimnion" and "hypolimnion".

When the sun heats a smallish body of water, the topmost layer of
water warms up, but because warm water is less dense than cold, it
stays on top. That top area is the epilimnion. The cold water below
it, which may not warm up much during the summer if the lake is at all
deep, is the hypolimnion.

The root of both "epilimnion" and "hypolimnion" is the classical Greek
"limnion", the diminutive of "limnē", a lake. "Limnologist" and the
subject of study, "limnology", are very closely related — they derive
from "limnē". "Epi-" is Greek for upon or above, while "hypo-" is from
Greek "hupo", under.

The epilimnion and hypolimnion are separated by a thinnish layer where
the temperature drops quickly. You might guess this is sometimes
called the "metalimnion" (Greek "meta-", with or across), though it's
commonly referred to as the "thermocline".

Most examples of "epilimnion" are in scientific contexts, though it
also crops up very occasionally in SF:

    The brown sphere was spotted after some days by a
    prowling ameba, quiescent in the eternal winter of the
    bottom. Down there the temperature was always an even
    4°, no matter what the season, but it was unheard of
    that a spore should be found there while the high
    epilimnion was still warm and rich in oxygen.
    [Surface Tension, by James Blish, 1952.]

If you should ever need the adjective, it's "epilimnetic".

Wordface
SUCH ODD. MUCH CUTE. SO PASSING FAD.  The internet phenomenon of
"doge" has been fashionable for some months now and has attracted the
interest of linguists. It originally tagged pictures of the Japanese
dog breed shiba inu (in multicoloured Comic Sans font), so the name is
a deliberate misspelling of "dog" (no link with the one-time ruler of
Venice; don't ask how it's said as wars have been started over less
and the consensus seems to be "any way you want"). Doge pairs a
modifier and a noun to create a dissonant phrase. The main doge
modifiers are "much", "many", "so", "very", "such", plus three words
that can be used by themselves: "wow", "amaze" and "excite". Typical
phrases are "very eat", "much grumpy", "so trick", which usually have
meaning only when written on a photo. But I found a retelling of
Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in doge, which begins:

    What light. So breaks. Such east. Very sun. Wow, Juliet.
    What Romeo. Such why. Very rose. Still rose.
    Very balcony. Such climb.
    Much love. So propose. Wow, marriage.

What interests linguists is that it's much more than just bad English.
It has a strict grammar that deliberately subverts the standard one.
You have to have a sophisticated intuitive understanding of English to
write good doge. A newbie user wrote "Much respect. So noble" and was
immediately corrected because it was too conventional — it should be
"Much noble. So respect." An article in the Daily Telegraph in
February was headlined, "Doge: such grammar. Very rules. Most
linguistics. Wow", which pretty much sums it up.

BARRED ENTRY. Angry items have appeared in British newspapers about
the phenomenon of "poor doors" in London. The developers of blocks of
luxury flats in the capital are required to set aside part for lower-
income families, under the title of "affordable housing". The press
was commenting on the practice of providing separate entrances to such
flats, without the reception and concierge facilities provided to
richer tenants and even separating rubbish disposal and postal
deliveries. The term "poor doors", a neat rhyming construction, is
said to have been coined in 2013 for the same phenomenon in New York.

Nail
Q. "From Peter Heimler:" One word that has always puzzled me is
"nail". Why is the thing on the end of our fingers called the same as
the thing that fixes wood together? It would end years of wondering if
you would be so kind as to get to the bottom of this.

A. The connection is ancient. It appears in one of the first
documents in English, dating from the early eighth century.

The text, in the Parker Library at Corpus Christi College in
Cambridge, has become known as the Corpus Glossary. It's a list of
Latin words with their Old English equivalents. "Nail" is included
twice in its Old English form "naegl", once to translate a variant of
the classical Latin "unguis" for a finger or toe nail, the other the
words "paxillum" and "palum" for a wooden pin or peg.

The experts say that "naegl" derives from a prehistoric Indo-European
root that became not only "unguis" but also Greek "onux" and other
words of the same meaning in most of the languages of Europe.

The original senses of the Latin and Greek words could be a finger or
toe nail, but both were also used for the horny endings of the toes of
cattle, horses, birds and other beasts, for which we now have the
separate words "hoof", "claw" and "talon".

A link in shape between claws and pointed fasteners of wood or metal
seems to have been established in prehistory, centuries before it was
written down in the Corpus Glossary.

Sic!
Catherine Pantsios and Keith Underwood mentioned a New York Times
article on 27 July about marketing toys to diverse demographics:
"'Right now there are more multicultural children being born under the
age of 5,' said Lisa Williams, chief executive of World of EPI."

The Northbrook Tower, which covers a suburb of Chicago, intrigued
Douglas Downey on 24 July: "Smeltzer said the fire was distinguished
'within the first 10 minutes' of arrival by utilizing two hose lines."

David Coe told us about a brief story in the Sarasota Herald Tribune
of 30 July about Crayola Inc that mentioned: "Mike Perry, the 111 year
old company's chief executive officer."

A front-page story in the Comox Valley Echo of 29 July caused Peter
Blackmore to wonder how the aircraft ever got off the ground: "The
fights follows ["sic"]  the success during the Shellfish Festival in
June when more than 100 people took to the sky in one of the company's
14-seat DHC-3 Single Otter planes."

Joel Berson reported on another list that Trader Joe recently issued a
recall notice for its California stone fruits, listing the products
concerned with the helpful heading "Sold Individually (by the each)".

Thanks to Nick Willmott we know that the BBC online news for South
West Wales of 25 July had this quote: "We have some really rampant
gulls in Tenby, viciously attacking people with ice cream or chips."

Lynn Whinery found this caption on the CNN website on 31 July: "A
truck carrying an unsecured ax flew through the windshield of the
vehicle driving behind it down the highway. Luckily, no injuries."

6. Useful information
your own subscription. Please don't contact me asking for changes you
can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address or
leave the list, go to http://wwwords.org/sb . This newsletter is also
available on RSS  and via Twitter  and Facebook . Back issues for the
past year are available here.

EMAIL ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome.
They should be sent to me at michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me. Items for "Sic!"
should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions for the Q&A section
should be sent to questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web site,
please visit the support page.

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 1996-2014.
All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or
part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as
educational resources provided that you include the copyright notice
above and give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org.
Reproduction of items in printed publications or commercial websites
requires permission from the author beforehand.