World Wide Words -- 04 Oct 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Oct 2 22:02:00 UTC 2014

World Wide Words
Issue 898: Saturday 4 October 2014

This mailing also contains a formatted version of the text.
This issue is also available online (http://wwwords.org/lctk) .

Feedback, Notes and Comments
NOT SO GREEN AS YOU'RE CABBAGE-LOOKING. Several readers pointed out
that I had said nothing about the second part of this strange
expression. "Cabbage" here is a reference to the head, it being
roughly the same size and shape. "Cabbage" and "cabbage-head" have
long been slang terms for a dull-witted, stupid or naive person.

The Yorkshire exclamation I quoted in the piece is "well, I'll go to
the foot of our stairs", not "bottom". Janet Alton emailed, "I was
born and brought up in a South Yorkshire pit village between Sheffield
and Worksop, and if anyone had said 'bottom' where I lived, they would
have been accused of 'talking posh'!" She added, "A similar expression
of surprise or disbelief is 'Well, I'll go to't back of our 'ouse'."

THE WORD AT WAR. In my review of the book, I misquoted the famous
statement by FDR that 7 December 1941, the day of the attack on Pearl
Harbor, was a "date that will live in infamy". The book's authors had
it correctly. Nick Willmott disputed one of the book's statements,
"You are not to be blamed for repeating the assertion that the
celebrated Keep Calm and Carry On poster was never distributed during
World War II. However, Reece Winstones' Bristol Blitzed of 1976
includes a photograph which clearly shows the poster on display in
1941."

TESTING, TESTING ... I'm developing a version of the World Wide Words
site that will be responsive to differing screen sizes on mobile
devices. If you have access to a smartphone, tablet or similar device
and would like to look at a sample page and comment in detail on how
easy it is to use and - as far as possible - its design, typography
or coding, please contact me and let me know what make and model of
device you have. Use the email address beta at worldwidewords.org.

HOUSEKEEPING. If you recognise any of these defunct email addresses as
having once been yours, would you contact me? scrapvee at msn.com,
bigfoot at jacqi.net, vdrandi3 at pop.htnet.hr, u4419216 at anu.edu.au.

Habiliments
It means clothes.

It was more widely used centuries ago, because it had several senses,
based on its Old French source, "habillement" or "abillement", which
come from the verb "habiller", to fit out or render some item fit for
service. The form without the initial "h" shows its link with English
"able", which comes from the related French "habile" or "hable".

Earlier senses were of the outfit and equipment of a warrior, more
broadly the weapons, munitions and other equipment of war. These
senses died out in the seventeenth century but one other survived, the
garments or vestments appropriate to some occupation, occasion or
season.

It's too pompously formal to fit our age and most dictionaries mark it
as archaic. However, "habiliments" also became a jokey way to refer to
one's everyday clothes and it may still be found as a humorous,
dismissive or sarcastic way to refer to clothing:

    You know the kind of cyclist I mean: all is vanity. ...
    He wears wicked shades, an insect-head helmet, and has
    athletic signage on his inappropriate habiliments.
    [The Herald (Glasgow), 20 Jun. 2014.]

Wordface
A NEW TRIBE. You may remember the yuppies of the 1980s, the Young
Upwardly-mobile Professionals. Their name coined several imitations,
of which the newest and most awkward appeared in British newspapers a
couple of weeks ago. The group is the "endies", those who are Employed
but have No Disposable Income or Savings. It was invented by a think
tank, the Centre for London, in a report, Hollow Promise: How London
Fails People on Modest Incomes and What Should be Done About It.  The
Centre concludes that a combination of static incomes and increasing
cost of living, especially housing and transport, have put about a
fifth of Londoners into the endie group.

BOOK DAY. Next Thursday, 9 October, is "Super Thursday" for publishers
in Britain, the day on which they launch their key books for the
season. In the past, individual publishers have decided to put their
best titles out on the same day, but this year publishers have
combined to make an official joint promotional campaign. Book
publishing has used the term from at least 2000, but borrowed it from
politics. British elections are always held on Thursdays and a chance
combination of national and local by-elections and the European
elections was given the name in 1994. This was almost certainly taken
from the older Super Tuesday in the US, when several presidential
primary elections are held on the same day.

The Sense of Style by Steven Pinker
Professor Pinker claims to love reading style guides. However, in much
of his book - the last 115 pages especially - he points out their
deficiencies and dismisses the views of purists, otherwise "sticklers,
pedants, peevers, snobs, snoots, nit-pickers, traditionalists,
language police, usage nannies, grammar Nazis and the Gotcha! Gang."
In this lies one of the themes of his work as well as a hint of his
style

He explains cogently how to write better, to learn the sense of style
of his title. His arguments and examples are drawn from cognitive
science, which tells us how people take in information, and from
modern grammar, which has replaced traditional assertions about the
nature of English with a researched understanding of the way English
actually works.

The book is entertaining while containing much good sense about the
art of writing well. He takes examples of twenty-first-century prose
and argues his way through what makes them good or bad. He advocates a
classic style of writing, a conversation between writer and reader in
which the writer knows what he wants to say and knows how much he
needs to tell the reader and how much he can leave to the reader's
knowledge. The prime failure in much communication, he points out, is
assuming that your reader knows too much (he calls it the curse of
knowledge) or that he or she understands technical terms that are
everyday concepts in the writer's field but not outside it.

He follows this up with detailed advice on such matters as signposting
your intentions to keep your reader on course, avoiding clichés,
limiting the number of abstract nouns (to call that "excessive
nominalisation" is an example of the problem), preferring positives to
negatives (research has shown it takes more mental effect to
understand negatives) and preferring active to passive (though he
argues forcefully that the passive can usefully emphasise the key
element of a sentence).

Much of the attention that's been paid to The Sense of Style has
focussed on Pinker's iconoclastic views on grammar. Are dangling
modifiers (the subject of so many Sic! items in this newsletter)
always mistakes? No, he says, many are acceptable, so much so that we
don't notice them. It's only the examples that lead to glaring
incongruities that become reasons to avoid them. Is it OK to verb
nouns? He says it often is, since they make it easy to express
concepts that would otherwise require circumlocution and, anyway,
using them is a matter of taste, not grammar. He points out the
subtleties of "less" versus "fewer", noting as one case that "less" is
fine with units of measurement. In his discussion of punctuation, he
advocates the serial comma, but decries the way his fellow Americans
put their closing punctuation inside quotation marks, regardless of
sense and logic.

After 115 pages of this and related rejection of convention, he ends
"For all the vitriol brought out by matters of correct usage, they are
the smallest part of good writing. They pale in importance behind
coherence, classic style, and overcoming the curse of knowledge, to
say nothing of standards of intellectual conscientiousness." Amen to
that.

[Pinker, Steven, The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to
Writing in the 21st Century; published in hardback and ebook in the UK
by Allen Lane (ISBN 9781846145506) and in the US by Viking (ISBN
9780670025855). Help support World Wide Words by buying from Amazon:
UK (http://wwwords.org/ssuk), USA (http://wwwords.org/ssus), Canada
(http://wwwords.org/ssca), Germany (http://wwwords.org/ssde).]

Sic!
The miracles of modern technology. Bob Bendesky found this on the US
Weekly site on 27 September: "Chelsea Clinton introduced her newborn
daughter Charlotte to the world one day after giving birth via Twitter
on Saturday." As Cedric Vendyback discovered, Time magazine included a
tautology in a related announcement: "Chelsea Clinton gave birth to a
newborn baby girl, she announced Saturday morning."

Useful information
can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address or
leave the list, go to http://wwwords.org/sb . This newsletter is also
available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs)   and via Twitter
(http://wwwords.org/tw)   and Facebook (http://wwwords.org/fb)  . Back
issues for the past year are available here (http://wwwords.org/bk) .

EMAIL ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome.
They should be sent to me at michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org
(mailto:michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org) . I do try to respond, but
pressures of time often stop me. Items for "Sic!" should go to
sic at worldwidewords.org (mailto:sic at worldwidewords.org) . Questions for
the Q&A section should be sent to questions at worldwidewords.org
(mailto:questions at worldwidewords.org) , not to my personal address.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web site,
please visit the support page (http://wwwords.org/st) .
COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 1996-2014.
All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or
part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as
educational resources provided that you include the copyright notice
above and give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org/.
Reproduction of items in printed publications or commercial websites
requires permission from the author beforehand.