World Wide Words -- 11 Oct 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Oct 9 22:02:00 UTC 2014

World Wide Words
Issue 899: Saturday 11 October 2014

This mailing also contains a formatted version of the text.
This issue is also available online (http://wwwords.org/nohz) .

Feedback, Notes and Comments
HABILIMENTS. "Your article on habiliments," emailed John Walmsley,
"brought to mind a word used by my great-uncle (and others of his
generation) in the 1970s in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.  It
may still be in use there. My great-uncle referred to one's underwear
as 'your decibels'. (The spelling is as I heard it at age 10.) Once I
started to learn French at school, I assumed that this was derived
from "déshabillé". I just checked my Chambers Dictionary, which is
always strong on the words of my Ulster youth. There I find
'dishabilles' and my schoolboy etymology is confirmed."

Graham Thomas added, "Habiliments reminded me of a book I read in my
youth: My Father in His Dizzerbell by Douglas Hayes. "Dizzerbell" was
the eponymous father's rendition of the French "déshabillé" and
usually meant his dressing gown, which he wore before donning his
clothes for the day."

FOCUS! Marni Hancock spotted a typo in my review of Steven Pinker's
new book last time. I wrote "mental effect" when I meant "mental
effort". My typing fingers have a will of their own sometimes.
However, readers who suggested kindly that in using "focussed" in the
piece I had suffered a keyboard malfunction were off-track, as
doubling the "s" is standard in British English.

BETA TESTING. Many thanks to everybody who made useful comments on the
draft page. With your help the redesign is now in good shape to be
rolled out to the whole site. I hope this will happen next weekend.

Immensikoff
I was leafing, if that's the right word, through a digital copy of an
issue of the Strand Magazine, most famous as the publisher of Arthur
Conan Doyle's stories about Sherlock Holmes, when this word almost
jumped off the page. It was in a story about a child pickpocket who
might have come from the pages of Oliver Twist:

    He felt himself much drawn toward a man in an
    "immensikoff"-a fur-lined overcoat -which was quite the
    most magnificent garment in the crowd. The large
    side-pocket of the "immensikoff" gaped invitingly, and,
    though outside overcoat-pockets were barren vessels as
    a rule, this was so very easy that nothing could be
    lost by trial.
    [A Lucifo Match, by Arthur Morrison; Strand Magazine, 6
    Jan. 1909. The title is a play on lucifer, a common
    term for a match; Lucifo was actually a Spanish
    conjuror, who was wearing the overcoat. He got the
    better of the pickpocket (match here is in the contest
    sense).]

This grandiloquent word for a rather fine garment was the accidental
invention of one of the most famous music-hall artists of Victorian
times, Arthur Lloyd, a Scottish-born comedian and singer who made his
name in London with a vast output of self-penned musical numbers. This
is the first reference to the song that I know about, in an article
about the Winchester Music Hall in London:

    Mr. Arthur Lloyd appeared in appropriate costumes, and
    sang and discoursed in his easy, telling manner as "The
    Pedagogue," and "Immenseikoff, or the Shoreditch
    Toff."
    [The Era, 5 Apr. 1868.]

When singing Immenseikoff, Mr Lloyd portrayed himself as a "swell"
(slang of the time for a fashionable or stylish person of wealth or
high social position). His song had this chorus:

    Immenseikoff, Immenseikoff
    Behold in me a Shoreditch Toff
    A toff, a toff, a toff, a Shoreditch Toff
    And I think myself Immenseikoff.
    [Immenseikoff, or the Shoreditch Toff, a polka with
    words and music by Arthur Lloyd, published 1860. ]

"Toff" is a slang term for a rich or upper-class person. The joke lay
in the incongruity of a man from Shoreditch being able to emulate the
style and clothing of a well-off person, as Shoreditch was one of the
poorest parts of the East End of London. "Immenseikoff" was presumably
a play on the language of Russian Jews who were beginning to settle in
the area.

His song became popular (an American visiting London in 1870 remarked
that everyone was humming it). His word likewise became well known. In
1869 it appeared in a story in an American newspaper as the name of a
Russian giantess in a circus. The same year Charles Marriott, a
popular light-music composer of the period, turned Lloyd's song into a
quadrille with the same title.

The word soon lost its second "e" and came to mean an overcoat.
Several decades later it was claimed that this came about because
Lloyd wore one when performing the song. However, no contemporary
reference exists that I can find and his song doesn't mention an
overcoat. On the cover of the sheet music he's wearing the "flash"
fashion of the time. As the covers of his other songs show him in the
costumes he wore to perform them, I suspect that he never wore a
overcoat while singing "Immenseikoff" and that the supposed link was
added much later in a misguided effort to explain its meaning. The
reason for its adopting this meaning is lost to us.

"Immensikoff" survived for several decades. Arthur Morrison's use in
1909 was almost its swansong, though Arnold Bennett employed it in his
novel Hilda Lessways two years later.

Poach
Q. From Ozer Bergman: If I had a "poached" egg for breakfast, did I
have contraband?

A. You might guess that we have yet another case of English words of
the same spelling and pronunciation that have arrived in the language
from different sources. But that may not be true in this case. Bear
with me, it's complicated.

The word meaning to cook an egg without its shell in boiling water is
the easier to explain. It can be traced back through the Middle French
verb "pochier", with the same meaning, to the noun "poche", a bag or
pouch. The idea seems to have been that the white of the egg was a
container for the yolk. That makes the egg sense of "poach" a close
relative of "pouch", of the bag sense of "poke" (as in not buying a
pig in one), and "pocket", which is etymologically a little poke. By
the end of the seventeenth century this sense of "poach" had been
extended to simmering fish, fruit and other foodstuffs in water.

The other "poach", to illegally hunt fish or game, began life in
English to mean prod, shove, or roughly push together, to push or
stir. This probably came from the Old French "pocher", to prod, and is
a relative of another sense of "poke". This sense of prodding is
obsolete in mainstream English but survives to some extent in regional
English dialects and in Scots. Later, "poach" developed into
unlawfully encroaching on someone else's preserve, to trespass. It has
a third sense of breaking up ground into muddy patches through animals
trampling it.

These three senses puzzle the experts, because they don't seem to
derive from a single word. But there are no other obvious candidates.
The mud sense is probably connected with hooves prodding the ground.
The illegal hunting sense has been said to be from the idea of
figuratively pushing into somebody else's territory, which by the
early 1700s had become linked to taking game illegally as an extension
of the idea of trespass.

But it's also argued that the illegal hunting sense might be from
thrusting something into a bag (as in "poacher's pocket",
etymologically an intriguing phrase), which would make it a
development of the other word. This is supported by Randle Cotgrave's
note in his Dictionary of the French and English Tongues of 1611 that
it refers to encroaching on another man's trade or employment, as the
English equivalent of a French expression which speaks of pocketing
another man's labour.

Whatever the source, Mr Bergman, you may safely eat your poached egg
without fear of the law.

Sic!
Alan Clayton writes in numerical wonderment, "I just searched Google
for a walking route around Reims and one hit was 'Find over 0 of the
best walking routes in Reims ...'. Unfortunately there were only just
over -1 of them."

The Herald Sun of Australia surprised Barbara McGilvray with news of
the supernatural powers of a revered AFL footballer: 'Robbie Flower
will be remembered as one of the finest players to ever pull on the
boots after passing away'.

On 1 October the Weekly Press of Philadelphia had a restaurant review
in which Beverly Collins found this: "Nearby, twelve Penn students ate
and toasted each other."

Bill Clarke found this in the printed instructions from a doctor: "put
one drop in the eye four times per day while awake."

Useful information
can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address or
leave the list, go to http://wwwords.org/sb . This newsletter is also
available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs)   and via Twitter
(http://wwwords.org/tw)   and Facebook (http://wwwords.org/fb)  . Back
issues for the past year are available here (http://wwwords.org/bk) .

EMAIL ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome.
They should be sent to me at michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me. Items for "Sic!"
should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions for the Q&A section
should be sent to questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web site,
please visit the support page (http://wwwords.org/st) .
COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 1996-2014.
All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or
part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as
educational resources provided that you include the copyright notice
above and give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org.
Reproduction of items in printed publications or commercial websites
requires permission from the author beforehand.