World Wide Words -- 02 Apr 16

Michael Quinion via WorldWideWords worldwidewords at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 2 08:04:47 UTC 2016

World Wide Words

Saturday 2 April 2016.

This newsletter is available online at http://wwwords.org/yapt
and is also attached to this message as a PDF file containing illustrations.

/Check the recipient address if you reply to this message. For security
reasons, it will be rejected if it is sent to
/worldwidewords at listserv.linguistlist.org/. Either use the email address
from the /Reply-to:/header or — better — create a new message to the
most appropriate of the addresses listed at the end of this newsletter. /

  Feedback, Notes and Comments

Brexit. Martin Cleaver emailed from The Netherlands to add yet another
derived form of /Brexit/ to the set I gave last time: “I have recently
discovered that I am a /Brexpat/. We are uniting under the Twitter
umbrella @brexpats — Brits who live in Europe.” And another new compound
met my eye recently: /Brexitism/, the concept or philosophy behind /Brexit/.

Caucus. Vance Koven pointed out, apropos of the early history of this
term, that in the traditional Boston accent, the words /corcas/,
/caulkers/ and /caucus/ would be pronounced virtually identically. This
explains why /caulkers/ in particular could be put forward seriously as
a possible origin.

Oryzivorous. Terry Walsh emailed to explain that the genus name of the
bobolink, /Dolichonyx/, means “with long nails or claws”. Jim Devlin
added that my picture of the bird shows why the naturalist W J Swainson
chose that genus name — it does indeed have long claws.

Kick the bucket. Carl Bowers asked about my use of /guyed/ in this
piece. It comes from the given name of the unsuccessful assassin Guy
Fawkes, who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament on 5 November
1605. He is marked in Britain by bonfires and fireworks every year.
Originally theatrical slang, to /guy/ means to make fun of or ridicule,
originally in reference to his lack of success.

Bookseller Diagram Prize. Following up my note of this year’s contest,
the winner of the oddest book title of the year was announced on 18
March: /Too Naked for the Nazis/, the biography of the musical hall act
Wilson, Keppel and Betty.

Article update. The piece about the curious British word /kibosh/
<http://wwwords.org/kbsh> (as in /putting the kibosh on something/, to
finish something off or put an end to it) now includes recent research
on its history, including the plausible theory that it derives from a
Turkish word for a whip.

  Lie doggo

Q. From Matthew Cutter: I recently came across this expression as the
answer to a crossword puzzle, and then only by solving all the words
running through it. While a quick web search tells me that it’s a
British idiom — meaning to hide quietly or lie low — I couldn’t find any
history on it. Can you turn up any further insight?

A. Though we assume that it’s British in origin, Australians and New
Zealanders know it, too, and it has turned up from time to time in the
USA, though I don’t think it’s at all well-known there. Some of my
reference works suggest it’s old-fashioned — it may well be, though it’s
familiar to me from my childhood and is still part of my active vocabulary.

The usual supposition is that it’s /dog/ with an /-o/ stuck on the end.
It’s often said that it refers to a dog pretending to be asleep, but I’m
not so sure. The reference is surely just as likely to be to a dog
that’s lying still but alert, as dogs are able to do for long periods —
my mental image is of a sheepdog in a field, ears pricked, quietly
watching his charges.

The transfer to humans added the idea of seeking to avoid detection:

The house won’t be safe once the ammunition has given out — and I know
the country all round there like the palm of my hand. There are plenty
of places we can lie doggo in until help comes.

/Wild Honey/, by Cynthia Stockley, 1914.

Some examples in the early days were spelled /doggoh/, as in one quoted
by Dr James Murray, the first editor of the /Oxford English Dictionary/,
in a puzzled enquiry to the scholarly journal /Notes and Queries/:

“DOGGO.” — What is it to /lie doggo/; and what is the history of
/doggo/? Is it a mock Latin ablative of manner? ... An earlier instance
differently spelt I have from /Society/ of 7 October, 1882, p. 23, col.
1: “To-day’s meet of the London Athletic Club will be remarkable for the
resurrection of E. L. Lockton after lying ‘doggoh’ some time.”

/Notes and Queries/, 4 Apr. 1896.

No response came to his enquiry and the term didn’t appear in the first
edition of the OED, most probably because it wasn’t then very widely
known. Dr Murray’s finding seems to have been mislaid and the citation
wasn’t included in the entry for the idiom that appeared in the
/Supplement/ in 1933; it’s not in the current online edition either,
though it’s two years older than the first example in the entry. (I’ve
told the OED’s editors about it and it will be added when the entry is
next updated.)

The term was given a small boost in the 1890s through its use by Rudyard
Kipling in /Soldiers Three/ and other writings. It became more common
during the First World War and in post-war writings about the war, such
as in the children’s books of Percy Westerman. It has also had peaks of
usage during and immediately after the Second World War and again in the
1980s. The reason for its popularity in the armed forces during periods
of conflict is too obvious to need elaboration.

This -o ending is curious. It’s much more characteristic of Australian
word formation (/arvo/, /servo/, /ambo/ and the like) than British.
However, /doggo/’s first appearance in print in that country is dated
1895 (“ ‘Lie doggo,’ as the sailors say”) so transmission seems certain
to be from Britain to Australia rather than the other way round.

Altogether, an odd little term.

  Fewmet

“The fewmets have hit the windmill,” cried a character in Harvard
Lampoon’s parody Bored of the Rings. Readers not familiar with archaic
English hunting terms will have missed the joke.

/Fewmets/ — also called /fewmishings/ — are the excrement or droppings
of an animal hunted for game, especially the hart, an adult male deer.
For medieval hunters they were evidence that an animal was somewhere
around; their condition gave a clue as to how near the quarry might be.
Huntsmen would bring fewmets to their masters to demonstrate that game
was there to be chased and that the hunt wasn’t likely to be a waste of
time. To make a proper assessment, the huntsman needed to know a lot
about the ways of the animal:

You muste vnderstand that there is difference betweene the fewmet of the
morning and that of the euenyng, bicause the fewmishings which an Harte
maketh when he goeth to relief at night, are better disgested and
moyster, than those which he maketh in the morning, bycause the Harte
hath taken his rest all the day, and hath had time and ease to make
perfect disgestion and fewmet, whereas contrarily it is seene in the
fewmishyng whiche is made in the morning, bycause of the exercise
without rest whiche he made in the night to go seeke his feede.

/The Noble Arte of Venerie or Hunting/, by George Gascoigne, 1575.

The word came into English during the fourteenth century and is from an
Anglo-Norman French variant of Old French /fumées/, droppings.

With the decline in great landed estates and the hunting they offered,
the word went into a decline, to become fashionable again in recent
decades with the rise in fantasy fiction and role-playing games. These
days, the animal producing the fewmets is more usually a dragon:

He’s going to where my dragons were! Come on, Meg, maybe he’s found
fewmets!” She hurried after boy and dog. “How would you know a dragon
dropping? Fewmets probably look like bigger and better cow pies.”

/A Wind in the Door/, by Madeline L’Engle, 1973.

It has become a useful substitute in such literature for a couple of
coarser words: “‘Oh, fewmets,’ Schmendrick cursed” (James A Owen, /The
Dragons of Winter/); “Speaking between friends and meaning no offense,
you’re full of fewmets.” (Poul Anderson, /Satan’s World/); “Caryo
intends to be caught, so she can kick the fewmets out of him” (Mercedes
Lackey, /Exile’s Valour/).

The word has also been spelled /fumet/, which might lead to an
unfortunate confusion with a concentrated fish stock used for seasoning,
a relative of the ancient Roman /garum/. The source of this sense of
/fumet/ is a related French word, originally applied to the smell of
game after it had hung for a while.

   From my reading

The dead speak. Two scientists in Denmark propose the creation of the
world’s first national /necrogenomic/database. This would record the
genomic sequences of all Danish citizens and residents at the time of
their death, some 50,000 a year. By matching these to information about
illnesses and ailments in life, helpful evidence could be gathered about
the genetic origins of diseases, about potential drug targets, and
informing treatment methods.

Work out what to wear. The trend toward informal leisurewear
intensifies. My newspaper tells me that the highlight of this summer’s
fashion will be the tracksuit, suitably embellished in expensive fabrics
and a price to match. This is an example of the trend towards
/athleisure /(/athletics/ + /leisure/), dressing as though you can’t
wait to leap up from the restaurant table to work out. The most recent
linguistic creation based on this is /athevening/ wear. Yes, Dorothy,
now you /can/ go to the pub wearing your tarted-up jogging bottoms.

Do what? Here’s a term guaranteed to stop a reader in their tracks:
/heteropaternal superfecundation/. It refers to the situation in which
twins have different fathers because two men have had sex with the
mother in close succession. It’s assumed to be rare in humans, though
nobody knows for sure and one can imagine a certain reluctance on the
part of some mothers to have the matter investigated, but it’s well
recorded in farm animals.

Who are you looking at? One of the more daft temporary fashions online —
and there’s a /lot/ of competition — is that of taking a photo of two
people and switching their faces. Until you’ve seen a wedding-day
picture of Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall reprocessed in this way you
really haven’t plumbed the full meaning of bizarre. The trick is, rather
boringly, called /faceswapping/.

Here to advise you. A report this month said that the Royal Bank of
Scotland is to shed 550 jobs as part of a plan to replace staff who
offer investment tips. They are to be superseded by what are called
automated investment portfolio services, though the newspaper preferred
the colloquial /robo-advisers/. The term has been common within the
financial services business for a couple of years.

Blasted breeding. A term in my Sunday paper sent me to the reference
books: /atomic gardening/. It turns out to have been a scattershot
space-age marriage of nuclear technology and plant breeding. Basically,
you put a lot of seeds in a nuclear reactor or in your local hospital’s
x-ray machine in the hope that the radiation would induce genetic
mutations instead of killing them. Then you planted them and waited for
something interestingly new to appear. Surprisingly for such a random
process, something often did, including new varieties of grapefruit and
peanuts. Other names for the technique are /mutation breeding/ and
/variation breeding/. A related process involved placing a powerful
radioactive source in the middle of a field, sometimes called a
/radiation garden/, and growing plants around it.

  Dingbat

Q. From Kelly Hogan: Thank you for the newsletter. I’d love to know the
origin of /dingbat/, as in the ornamental characters used in typesetting.

A. It’s a rather splendid word, not least because it seems to have been
considered useful for all seasons and situations. It is definitely
American in origin and has been recorded as variously meaning a type of
drink, a sum of money, a tramp or hobo, a bullet or cannonball (or
generally any sort of missile), balls of dung on the buttocks of sheep
or cattle. a foolish or insane person, student slang for a sort of
muffin, an affectionate embrace, a term of admiration, or a vague and
unspecified term for something or other whose real name the person
speaking cannot bring to mind. The printing sense is a bit of a
Johnny-come-lately within that jumble.

A note of warning should be uttered here. Several of these supposed
meanings come from one source, a Mr Philip Hale of the Boston Journal in
1895. He had been collecting information on various senses, which was
collated in an issue of Dialect Notes the same year. Several cannot be
found in printed works. You may suspect Mr Hale of having been credulous
or perhaps failing to check whether a speaker was using a real term or a
temporary substitute for one he couldn’t for the moment recall.

Most examples in the nineteenth century were references to money:

“Rich widders are about yet,” said Nicky Nollekins to his friend
Bunkers, “though they appear snapped up so fast.” ... “Well I’m not
partic’lar, not I, (replied Billy.) nor never was. I’d take a widder for
my part, if she’s got the ding-bats, and never ask no question, I’m not
proud.”

/Spirit of Jefferson/ (Charlestown, Virginia), 25 July 1848.

A later appearance not only illustrates another sense, but also gives us
an indirect clue to the genesis of the term:

At the Methodist school at Wilbraham, Mass, the name “dingbat” has
already been applied to a large raised biscuit that is brought to the
table and eaten with butter or molasses in the morning. It’s palatable
to the hungry, but is about as indigestible as a brickbat.

/Placerville Mountain Democrat/ (California), 31 Aug 1878, in an item
reprinted from the /New York Graphic/.

/Brickbat/? Could /dingbat/ be a relative? It’s usually accepted that
the /ding/ part is from the verb to beat, knock or strike a heavy blow.
A brickbat was an offensive weapon (though nowadays the assault is more
often verbal) consisting rather obviously of a lump of brick. The /bat/
in both cases was originally a stick or a stout piece of wood, the same
word as in the modern baseball or cricket bat; it might be used for
support or to defend oneself by /battering/ an assailant (which may
remind you of the legal offence of /battery/, the infliction of unlawful
personal violence on another person). (/Bat/ is from an Old French word
meaning to beat.) The missile sense of dingbat is rarely recorded and
that mostly during the Civil War, though there are references to its
having been used in New England for something to chastise a child with.

Adopting /dingbat/ for a thing whose proper name eludes one, a thingummy
or doodad, appears late in the century:

He had gone to the symphony concert expecting to hear “After the Ball”
with variations and “Daisy Bell” without them, but when they turned a
whole raft of con motos and scherzos and op. 27’s and appoggiaturas and
other chromatic dingbats loose on him he began to wonder what he was
there for.

/The Daily Independent/ (Helena, Montana), 31 Mar 1894.

Matron Brennan had occasion to use her sewing machine and found the
shuttle and other dingbats belonging to the machine missing.

/Dubuque Daily Herald/, 21 Sep. 1898.

We may guess that printers took over the term as a convenient way of
describing the miscellaneous set of non-alphabetic type symbols that are
more formally called printer’s ornaments (though borders and flowery
ornamentals are often separated out under the name of /fleurons/). Here
Joe Toye, writer of a humorous column called /What You May,/overhears
his text being proofread with the printer:

Head in a box. On the top line “the” in caps. Next line. What You May
Column upper and lower. Third line in the box upper and lower. By Joe
Toye with an “e” on the end of it. End of the box. ... Then come three
dingbat stars and the next paragraph.

/Boston Sunday Post/, 24 Jun, 1917.

This is the earliest I’ve so far found, though I suspect that a bit of
whimsy a decade earlier by C H Lincoln in his /All Sorts/ column in
another newspaper in the same city may derive from the same idea of a
printing character (as indeed does his column’s title, as a /sort/ is
one character in a font of type):

Neither is the precious Dingbat the most hated of animals. We knew a
printer who loved a trained Dingbat better even than he did his dog, and
who spent many hours daily catching type-lice for it to eat.

/Boston Post/, 7 Jun. 1907.

The sense of a stupid or crazy person starts to appear at about the same
time, laying the foundation for Archie Bunker’s affectionate nickname
for his wife Edith in the American TV show /All In the Family/.

  Sic

There’s no tragic situation that clunky prose can’t make sound
ridiculous. A piece Neil Hesketh saw on MSN News online on 11 March
reported that “Keith Emerson shot himself in the head in what’s likely
now a suicide investigation.”

Russell Ball discovered an unfortunate typo on the /Sydney Morning
Herald/’s site on 7 March, in a story about the battle between Madonna
and Guy Ritchie for custody of their son: “According to reports, the
mum-of-four has conceded defeat, finally admitting that her son does not
want to love with her.”

More modern slavery. Alan Tunnicliffe submitted an advert he found in
/The Press/ of Christchurch, New Zealand, on 11 March: “The owner of
GLN135 Audi S4 will be sold at auction under the Workers Lien Act if
payment is not made within 30 days.”

  Useful information

Support World Wide Words: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and would
like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web site, please
visit the support page <http://wwwords.org/st>.

About this newsletter: World Wide Words is researched, written and
published by Michael Quinion in the UK. ISSN 1470-1448. Copyediting and
advice are freely provided by Julane Marx, Robert Waterhouse, John
Bagnall and Peter Morris, though any residual errors are the fault of
the author. The linked website is http://www.worldwidewords.org.

*Email addresses:* Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome.
They should be sent to me at michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org
<mailto:michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org>. I try to respond, but
pressures of time often prevent me from doing so. Items intended for
/Sic!/ should be addressed to sic at worldwidewords.org
<mailto:sic at worldwidewords.org>. Questions for the Q&A section should be
sent to questions at worldwidewords.org
<mailto:questions at worldwidewords.org>, not to the correspondence address.

Subscriptions: To /leave the World Wide Words mailing list /send an
email from your subscribed address to
worldwidewords-leave at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:worldwidewords-leave at listserv.linguistlist.org>. To /join the
mailing list/, send an email from the address at which you want to be
subscribed to worldwidewords-join at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:worldwidewords-join at listserv.linguistlist.org>. To /change your
subscribed address/, leave the list and rejoin. In each case, the
subject line and body of your message will be ignored; you will be sent
a message asking you to confirm your intention. Please don’t contact me
about changes you can make yourself, though you can email me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org <mailto:wordssubs at worldwidewords.org>if any
problems arise. Back issues from January 2011 are here
<http://wwwords.org/bi> and olderones back to 1999 are here
<http://wwwords.org/bk>. World Wide Words is also on Twitter
<http://wwwords.org/tw>and Facebook <http://wwwords.org/fb>.

Copyright: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 1996-2016.
All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or in
part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and the
website address, http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction of items in
printed publications or commercial websites requires permission from the
author beforehand.