[ACLA-CAAL] Seeking submissions for a new edited volume on the global translation of Russian literature

Brittany Roberts brobe005 at ucr.edu
Sun Mar 28 06:37:08 UTC 2021

Sent on behalf of Dr Muireann Maguire (University of Exeter, UK)

Dear colleagues!

My co-editor Dr Cathy McAteer and I are still appealing for
submissions of up to 8,000 words for our edited volume "Russian
Translation in the Global Context" on one of the following topics:

(a) the history of literary translation from Russian into another
language (which may include the biography of one or more translators,
or focus on translations of a single author's work) - e.g. a history
of Gogol's translation into Portuguese;

(b) the reception of Russian literature in translation (over any time
period between approx. 1900 and the present day) in a specific
culture, ethnicity, nation, or region. (For this topic, we are
particularly interested in scholarship on the non-Anglophone,
non-Western reception of Russian literature, although all proposals
will be considered). For example: Responses to "Mertvye dushi" in
Indonesian literature.

The closing date for proposals is March 31st, 2021 (an extension of up
to 2 weeks beyond the submission deadline of March 31, 2021, may be
considered on request) and you can find more details about the project
(in English and Russian), including how to contact us and how to
submit a proposal, here:
https://rustrans.exeter.ac.uk/translation-archive/translating-russian-literature-in-the-global-context/.

Please do circulate our Call to colleagues in Comparative Literature,
Translation Studies and other relevant areas - we are trying to reach
the widest possible number of potential contributors.

All submissions will be reviewed twice before acceptance, once by the
editors and again by anonymous peer reviewers. The volume will fully
be published Open Access in 2023 with a limited initial print run and
unlimited free PDF downloads, by a non-profit academic publisher.
Publication costs are met by our project funder, the European Research
Council.

With thanks,

Muireann Maguire (University of Exeter)