As many (as possible)

Mai Kuha mkuha at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Aug 4 15:43:33 UTC 1999

I don't have access to sources where I could check this right now, but
isn't this a fairly normal phenomenon in various varieties of World
Englishes? I seem to remember having seen it in Kenyan English, anyway.
If so, this could point us to some nice functional motivation that might
apply to native speakers of American English as well.

-Mai

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Brian Good wrote:

> I don't recall ever hearing or seeing this omission before, but now I
> have come across it three times in the past month or so.  The speaker
> says "as many" while leaving off the "as possible" part.  It really
> sticks out for me because it sort of grates on my nerves.... I'm left to
> complete the "as possible" in my head.  Here's where I've heard/seen it:
>
> McSweeney's Internet Tendency, "Four Dreams of Gergen," by Paul
> Maliszewski:
> http://www.mcsweeneys.net/1999/06/14dreams.html
> "...Lewis Lapham appears.  He says, Provide as many correct and
> acceptable spellings of the leader of Libya."
>
> On a plane before takeoff (repeated twice!):
> "In order to help conserve overhead bin space, please put as many bags
> under the seat in front of you."
>
> On a radio station in Seattle:
> "We're trying to get as many people to call in and tell us about
> their favorite movies."
>
> Is this a new trend or have I just never noticed it before?  Is there
> someone on some TV show who has started speaking this way?
>
> Brian

Mai Kuha
mkuha at indiana.edu