Functional food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 12 22:31:06 UTC 1999

   I just found it in the OXFORD DICTIONARY OF NEW WORDS (1997), pp. 119-120.  "_Functional foods_ were originally a Japanese idea and by 1990 had an eight per cent share of the Japanese food market."  Citations from 1993 and 1994 are given.  I know that William Safire has done a recent article on the related "nutraceutical."
   The Dow Jones database (OK, so I got out of bed and took the subway down here) has an article about "Rhone-Poulene's commitment to functional food ingredients" in DAIRY FOODS, 8-1-1990, pg. 21.  There are now over 1200 hits.