Gore as Blakean

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Nov 9 03:22:33 UTC 1999

Naomi Wolf:

    I saw the program in which George Will asked Naomi Wolf what she meant
by describing Gore as Blakean in one of her writings.  I listened carefully
but was unable to fully understand  her reply.  It had something to do with
Blake's mind being able to grasp complexities and nuances, and Gore
presumably being able to do the same.

     On a general note, what struck me most about  Ms. Wolf is that she  is
pretty free and loose in her use of written langauge--as when she once
wrote about Al Gore having "goofy" ideas, when  she merely meant  that
those ideas  are  a bit ahead of their time.   As a result, when she was
questioned about the meaning of some of her statements, she repeatedly fell
back on saying that their meaning was being "twisted" or  that the
statements were "taken out of context."

-----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu