TIME OUT NY's Eating & Drinking

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu Nov 18 20:18:09 UTC 1999

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> ---------------------------------------------Ric Burns's NEW YORK (briefly
> continued)
>
>     Wow, does this thing suck.
>     There's one more episode on Thursday (it's supposed to be the best
> one--NY in the 1920s) and then Ric Burns does the other 70 years in just two
> hours in the spring.  It's all too much, and he does it badly.
>     In episode four, half of it was devoted to the 146 people who died in the
> 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire.  You'd never know that 1021 people had
> died in 1904 in the General Slocum maritime tragedy.
>     You'd also never know that New York had a fire department,

Oh yes, it was talked about in the context of the Triangle factory fire.  The
narrator mentioned that they had the latest and greatest equipment, most recent
technology, maybe even that they were the best dept. in the country (I really
didn't pay that much attn).  Also noted was the fact that their ladders didn't
reach past the 6th floor, and that their nets broke so they couldn't handle the
jumpers.

Andrea