hand trucks vs dollies

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 19 01:51:54 UTC 2001

Bethany K. Dumas said:
>What do you call those vertical entities (some are very heavy-duty - for
>moving refrigeraors and such) that allow you to move heavy loads
>easily? On another list, the contenders are dolly and hand truck. Web
>sites vary. I know them as dollies (and appliance dollies). And local
>stores rent them as dollies, not "hand trucks."

If you mean the kind with two wheels and a blade that slips under a heavy
load, which you can then tilt back and move on wheels, I'd call that a
dolly. To me, a hand truck has a flat base and four wheels, with a handle
similar to that on a dolly on one side.
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu

More information about the Ads-l mailing list