hand trucks vs dollies

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Jun 19 02:05:53 UTC 2001

I call them "appliance dollies", that is, the ones that have the straps
that you tighten hold the load in place. A "hand truck" works on the same
principle but has nothing to hold the load in place except gravity.
"Furniture dollies" or "piano dollies" are those flat pallet-like things
with four wheels. Unlike hand trucks or appliance dollies, furniture
dollies cannot negotiate stairs, of course.

maberry at u.washington.edu

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

> What do you call those vertical entities (some are very heavy-duty - for
> moving refrigeraors and such) that allow you to move heavy loads
> easily? On another list, the contenders are dolly and hand truck. Web
> sites vary. I know them as dollies (and appliance dollies). And local
> stores rent them as dollies, not "hand trucks."
> Bethany

More information about the Ads-l mailing list