Telematics

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jun 20 18:02:00 UTC 2001

Agreed. Or, as was my case with Esquire, the parenthetical clarification
of the term was cut for space reasons. At least they left in my
referring to the term as technobabble, which it is, as used by the auto
industry. I think they may have originally chosen it to refer
exclusively to wireless comms to the car, but then decided they needed a
sexy, futuristic-sounding term for all of the computerized car systems,
so they morphed the term into a catch-all. If you look at some of the
earlier uses (and still with some auto makers), they say things like
"telematics/multimedia/security systems" and other multi-slashed
mouthfulls. I guess it could have been worse. They could have coined
some user-surly term like autonetics or AutoComTech or some other monstrosity.

Gar