Sloppy Joe's

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 19 13:55:33 UTC 2001

I have been living in the Atlantic City area since 1986 and I have never
encountered a "Sloppy Joe" here or elsewhere that was other than ground meat
in barbecue or similar sauce.  (My personal recipe is very simple---browned
hamburger, tomato ketchup, and A-1 sauce).

Once, in 1971, at a greasy spoon in rural West Virginia I ordered either a
hamburger or a sloppy joe (memory does not serve as to which) and the unhappy
result had cole slaw on it.  That however was a one-time experience.

If there is a generic term for a sandwich with Russian dressing and cole
slaw, I am not aware of it.

      - Jim Landau